This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

decisions, decisions

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

After things went south, I was able to restore files copied from ERUNT. That went fine. System Restore, however, was a flop. The earliest restore point available was the day I started putting the programs together on the system. I tried it many times, but still no good. I'm not exactly sure where I went wrong. I had read the last few posts and decided to remove SpywareGuard. At that time I got a message some SG files will need to be deleted manually. Then decided to go to control panel. PC froze up. Had to manually shut down. Started deleting all programs I had just installed from days earlier through CCleaner. Shut down unnecessary startup programs. Nothing helped. Didn't realize CPU was running at 100%, which explains why I couldn't go to my control panel. Tried System Restore, no luck. ERUNT was able to restore files, but it really didn't help much. A computer friend of mine was able to slow down CPU by shutting down just about every unnecessary program. He couldn't find my IP address. He even manually put one in from his laptop. Didn't work. That's when he found out drivers weren't functioning right. Also tried to find updates for drivers to repair files. Nothing helped. That's the basics on how I arrived here. Not exactly sure what you guys can do to help, but I welcome your advice.
Hi hx35543 Ok, first things first. What drivers are missing? What programs did you install? and just as important, what programs did you disable / uninstall when you installed the new programs? Regards
The first question might take a while as I am at work and my PC is at home 70 miles away. It goes – control panel- system- hardware- device manager- then processors?(I would find it, but my wife needs to know exactly) Is that right? Next– programs as follows– Avast- Comodo- SpywareBlaster- SpywareGuard- WinPatrol. Also ERUNT to back up files and Secunia (I think) to check how well my security was. Next–The only program uninstalled was Norton at first. System was backed up with ERUNT and System Restore. Installed new programs. PC started slowing down. Posted to this site. Then uninstalled SpywareGuard- the the rest fell in no particular order. All but Comodo and Avast (just in case I was able to go online). That never happened.
Hi again

Can we fix her, or do we shoot and put her to pasture.


Ehe, of course we can ;)

This, as Tom pointed out

That turned out to be a rogue registry program.


Could you elaborate on that? Do you mean a rogue security program or
something completely different? If you do mean a rogue security program,
then you should be in the malware forum. Fixing a PC with malware
onboard is no good.

Regards
Turns out all the programs my friend shut down were start-up programs. He cut everything that he could and finally got the CPU to stop running so hard. Didn't get a chance to narrow down which one(s) were corrupted. Tell me this. Would it be easier to copy my important files to a flash drive and re-format?

Tell me this. Would it be easier to copy my important files to a flash drive and re-format?

Maybe. Won't know unless we know what's going on. I'd suggest you go here and follow directions to post a log.
Can I download this from another PC to memory stick and load to my PC? That's the only way I'm going to get it to mine as I can't get on the internet. I'll try to get the driver info. as soon as I can. I'll give you guys all the info. I can to help out but I'm not buy my PC. It may take a while. The question about the re-format was only because of the situation I'm in. If I could get online at home, it would be a lot easier to give you what you need to get this moving along. I don't have another PC on hand close by. Anyway, thanks for all of the help!!
First problem is I need to be able to get online. Once there, I could make diagnosing alot easier on you guys.Can you tell me what to do? Tell me what info you need.
Ok. Driver info as follows: Under network drivers— Intel® Pro/100 VE Network Connection-Symantec Network Security Mini-port WAN Mini-Port (IP)/ Symantec Network Security Mini-Port Norton apparently took over both programs
hx35543,

Yes. Transfer the files with a memory stick. :thumbup:

We are a fairly patient bunch here. We understand the trouble you will have transferring the files. Once I see your HijackThis log, I'll try to give you a "shopping list" of programs we might want so that you can download several. Maybe something obvious will show and we can get you back online with just the HJT log. We just don't know.

As far as re-formatting goes, it's still a possibility. Virut has been going around. If I find that, I'm just going to tell you to reformat.

Remember. Follow the directions to post the HJT log in the malware forum. Do not post it here.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI