How to Secure New Computer?
8 min read
You need to:
- Keep Windows updated. You can even let Windows Update in W7 do it automatically for you - WU in W7 is much refined from earlier versions
- Use a (as in 1) real-time anti-malware solution. I use and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and have for over 3 years with no problems.
- Use a firewall and Windows 7 own is perfectly capable.
- Avoid risky behavior like participating in illegal filesharing via torrents and P2P sites.
You are going way overboard. Windows 7 is way more secure than previous versions. But even with XP, it was never a good idea to have multiple anti-malware solutions running at the same time so running McAfee AND MBAM PRO at the same time is too much. Adding ZA is overkill - not to mention the drag on CPU, RAM and disk resources.
You need to:
- Keep Windows updated. You can even let Windows Update in W7 do it automatically for you - WU in W7 is much refined from earlier versions
- Use a (as in 1) real-time anti-malware solution. I use and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and have for over 3 years with no problems.
- Use a firewall and Windows 7 own is perfectly capable.
- Avoid risky behavior like participating in illegal filesharing via torrents and P2P sites.
Thanks Digerati!
What do you recommend for a firewall?
What is the difference between a firewall and the protection Malwarebytes provides?
I've been a big fan of Malwarebytes b/c after I installed it, it found two viruses MS could not…so I'd like to stay with it. If I run Malwarebytes, is there another program you recommend I run in conjunction with it?
…I'm sorry if the answer is obvious, tech is not my strong point.
MBAM is an anti-malware product designed to detect and stop virus, worm, Trojan, and other malicious activity from running on your machine. I like and use MBAM too, but only as a supplemental scanner. I run it (and SUPERAntiSpyware Free) every couple weeks just to make sure nothing got by MSE and in 3 plus years, nothing has. A firewall protects your system from unauthorized access via your network. Two different things and why you need both an anti-malware solution and a firewall.
Since you already have McAfee and MBAM, you might as well use them - at least until you need to renew. And while MBAM plays well with other like programs, McAfee may not. So I personally would just run one in real time (start with Windows) and keep the other for on-demand, supplemental scanning.
But really, by far, the most important thing is to keep Windows current. Malware typically targets and exploits unpatched vulnerabilities.
Are you getting 64-bit Windows 7? That has additional security features the 32-bit version lacks.
I run Microsoft Security Essentials and MBAM Pro and use the built in Windows Firewall.
I'm on the new computer right now and that's exactly what I'm running!
I installed the Malware first, then went online and did the MS updates before I browsed the net.
That's how they (McAfee, Norton, CA, TrendMicro, etc.) sink their hooks. They get PC makers to include a free trial or rebate offer with the PC sale. That's the bait. Then, because they are good anti-malware solutions (no disputing that!) users take the bait and get used to the programs. BUT, unlike the free anti-malware solutions, these "subscriptions" expire! So in 6 months or a year, you have to pay to renew them, and then repeatedly pay again and again every year or so after that to renew the subscriptions to keep them current. That's how they reel you in - hopefully for life. If you don't renew, your system becomes vulnerable! And before they expire, those programs toss up very intimidating and frightening warnings to their users about how they are about to expose their computers to the badguys and infections.The MCafee I received is technically for free b/c I had a $35 rebate coupon when I bough the computer for the program…so no lost love if I don't use McAfee.
They exploit users fears and I don't like that at all.
When you "roll your own" security, you have choices.
FTR - at least in my opinion, MBAM Pro is the ONLY product you can run in real-time with other anti-malware solutions without fear of conflicts (I use the "2 dogs guarding the same bone" analogy) or significant waste of resources. So typically I advise against running two anti-malware solutions in real-time. But with MBAM Pro I make an exception. However, assuming you otherwise practice safe computing (you keep your computer updated, you use a firewall and you don't participate in risky behavior) you only need one real-time solution. Running MBAM Pro too is more for peace of mind.
And that's a good practice (assuming you installed "anti"-malware and not malware! ;)). And what's nice about W7 and W8 is Windows Firewall is enabled by default and it loads way early in the boot process too - a very good thing.I installed the Malware first, then went online and did the MS updates before I browsed the net.
Exactly - especially when there are several, fully capable "free" alternatives to choose from.When I saw the subscription price after 1yr for McAfee, I was mad…that's nuts to pay that kind of coin every year to keep the subscription going!!
Well, simply put, they are wrong. It is not garbage and it does not do harm.I've read that some people say its garbage and does more harm then good.
Yes, there are defraggers that do a more efficient job of defragging, but that is an overrated advantage and misguided marketing fluff. And that is because the second, and I mean that quite literally, you start to use your computer again, fragmentation starts all over. So any advantage is quickly lost making the basic defragger built into Windows more than adequate.
Note that the need to defrag is minimized if you have lots of free disk space. If someone needs regular defragging, what they really need is more disk space. So it makes little sense to me for those naysayers to recommend a different defragger - as that requires downloading and installing yet another program that takes up more disk space when Windows already has a perfectly good defragger built in!
Also note that it is counter-productive to defrag a hard drive with potentially 1000s of tiny temporary Internet files on the drive. Therefore, you should ALWAYS run a disk cleaner before defragging to clean out the "clutter". Those naysayers would likely have you download a defragger that runs all the time in the background. But they don't clean the clutter first.
I am also against automatic defragging via a schedule for that same reason (no clutter cleaning first). That means I am against Windows automatic defragging and I recommend scheduled defragging be disabled.
I defrag my drives, maybe once a year. In the olden days with tiny, slow drives with very small buffers, and systems with small amounts of RAM, regular defragging was more beneficial. But with today's monster drives with large buffers and systems with gobs of RAM, regular defragging is not needed.
To reiterate, if low on free disk space, fragmentation can be an issue. But regular defragging is not the solution. Buying more disk space is.
You're not going to believe this, I just found this on my computer after visiting a legitimate site that offered coupons for various retailers
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/t…atid=2147636088
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI