This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

decisions, decisions

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I know enough about computers to probably get me in trouble, so I am asking for a little advice. I understand there is no PERFECT security software. It just seems there are so many programs out there. And for every anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware, etc., there are always good and bad reviews. It's hard to decide which one(s) to use. I am a general user with a home PC. Have kids that like to play online games. I occasionally visit some questionable sites but I don't get stupid by downloading anything. I have a basic understanding of viruses, malware, and spyware and understand that it all seems to be downright harmful to a PC whether it slows it down or melts the hard-drive. I have a Dell PC with Windows XP (not sure which version) and running Norton Internet Security. I am trying to get away from the big dog security programs. Just looking for a push in the right direction. And do I use one program that takes care of all or multiple programs to cover the spectrum? Help!! Thanks
A lot of people will recommend AVG, but others don't like it. Avast is another one, along with Avira, for your antivirus.

I personally LOVE nod32 but it costs. (it also has a complete version that includes a firewall; ESS)

For firewalls, I have used and like Outpost. Others may not.

There is a list of freeware programs (trials and unlimited versions) here

You also may like the command

netstat

and it's gui counterpart (third party program) X-Netstat (paid for program)

there's also the option of trying out Windows 7 Beta (what little time you have left to try it) it has a built in TWO WAY firewall that incorporates RULES….

This is a little offtopic, but there is also this page so you can learn and search out all the windows xp commands.

Hope it helps some :)
The "paid" security suites strive to cover all the bases and are successful to varying degrees.

If you're planning to shell out money the new 2009 edition of Norton is greatly improved.
read here: http://www.geekstogo.com/2009/01/05/norton…ty-2009-review/

I have always preferred and successfully relied upon a combination of free choices.

One firewall
One AntiVirus
two AntiSpyware
One blocking: MVSP Hosts file or SpywareBlaster

and beyond that you can add antiphishing, site advisor and the like depending upon your preference.

Have a look here at a selection that our Members put together for you to select from (all free)
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Preventing_M…ing_t98700.html

Welcome to WTT Forums.

Best Regards
Thanks, that's kind of what I was looking for. I had done a good bit of research looking at different programs and it seemed some people would preach on it and some would tell of horror tales. I just needed some direction on some tried and true programs. Thanks alot
[external image: Posted Image] hx35543,

Let us know what you decided on as the result is always interesting for other members to read about the choice.

Now you presumably have chosen your security software, there is still a weekly maintenance issue that needs taking care of on all systems.

You may find mine of interest, especially the latter part of it for keeping your system running well.

kind regards,
ok. My choices are as follows: Avast–Comodo–Spywareblaster–SpywareGuard–Winpatrol. For the first few days, everything was just fine.Lately, not so good. PC slower than usual, programs such as Windows Media freezing up. Extremely slow to get on internet. I even got a blue screen with a bunch of carp** on it telling me the system had a problem and needed to shut down. I only got this once but I had never gotten it before. Now what I do see, all these new programs seem to want to run at once. They are all on my task bar at the bottom. What do I need to do? Help :pullhair:
I'd recommend that you uninstall Spyware Guard. It runs active in the background, is not frequently enough updated (IMO), and is a terrible resource hog on low to medium resource machines. Spyware Blaster is a very good "passive" list blocker. I'd add MalwareBytes or SuperAntispyware as the Antispyware component for periodic (weekly or more often) manual scans. Avast! is fine. It used to be a top-heavy resource hog, but has become much more manageable of late. But the combo of Avast and Spyware Guard may be choking your machine.

ok. My choices are as follows: Avast–Comodo–Spywareblaster–SpywareGuard–Winpatrol.
For the first few days, everything was just fine.Lately, not so good. PC slower than usual, programs such as Windows Media
freezing up. Extremely slow to get on internet. I even got a blue screen with a bunch of carp** on it telling me the system had a problem and needed to shut down. I only got this once but I had never gotten it before. Now what I do see, all these new programs seem to want to run at once. They are all on my task bar at the bottom. What do I need to do? Help :pullhair:

I have always preferred and successfully relied upon a combination of free choices.

One firewall
One AntiVirus
two AntiSpyware
One blocking: MVSP Hosts file or SpywareBlaster

The above quote from Doug's last post is very good advice. Only one Firewall and one Anti-virus program. Your Anti-Spyware software should not be running at boot up, run them manually.

One last thing to make the above practice easier, make a New Folder on the Desktop name it 'Maintenance Folder' put a short cut of all Maintenance Programs installed, (not your Firewall and Antivirus software) in it, then carrying out that once a week housekeeping chore is made even more simple.

I presume you mean the icons are in the system tray near the clock, if so do the following:

  • Start
  • Run
  • Type 'msconfig'
  • Startup tab
  • Untick/disable all except your Anti-Virus and Firewall application
  • OK - Exit without Restart
  • Reboot
There are further issues we need to address, but post back to tell us if the above helped your system

kind regards,

Oh yeah, one more thing. My processor seem to be about ready for launch it's running so fast. Can you guys shed some light????

Thanks


What is your system specifications and age of PC? (RAM, CPU)

ok. My choices are as follows: Avast–Comodo–Spywareblaster–SpywareGuard–Winpatrol.
For the first few days, everything was just fine.Lately, not so good. PC slower than usual, programs such as Windows Media
freezing up. Extremely slow to get on internet. I even got a blue screen with a bunch of carp** on it telling me the system had a problem and needed to shut down. I only got this once but I had never gotten it before. Now what I do see, all these new programs seem to want to run at once. They are all on my task bar at the bottom. What do I need to do? Help

Did you remember to disable windows firewall? The new Comodo
have a bug, that sometimes don't disable windows firewall upon
install. So make sure it is disabled, otherwise you will have a world
of conflicts on your hands.

Did you perhaps block an important request from the system via Comodo
poup message? You can checked blocked items here:

Open Comodo interface by double-clicking the icon in tray by clock.
Click on "Firewall"
Choose advanced, then Network security policies

Now you should have an overview of policies, blocks, allowances etc. etc.
Go through that list and see if any odd windows application is being blocked.

Next you should check Defense+ Policies (If you opted to install Defense+)

Click on Defense+ from main screen
Choose advanced, then Computer security policies

Here you get a overview of your actions on popup messages
from Comodo. Go through them, and see if you applied a wrong
policy somewhere.

—————————————-

On this machine, I use the following:

Avast
Threatfire (Low-resource profile)
Comodo Firewall
SpywareBlaster (passive)
Spybot S&D (No tea-timer, Immunization only, passive)

With no problems at all. Maybe that is a "package" you could try…

Regards Abydos
Just wanted to address something concerning SpywareGuard that you mentioned Doug The program isn't updated because it doesn't need to be. Its not a proper anti-spyware program that needs to be updated for new infections. It uses heuristics to stop infections before they can even start. As for it being a resource hog. When I used it on a pretty dated machine, it uses less resources than a conversation in msn. I highly recommend it myself.
Thanks Rorschach112, I realize that it doesn't update a database such as file lists to alert against. I haven't given Spyware Guard a fair chance recently. I had stopped even looking in on it months ago. My experience has been with low resource machine, it does bog things down significantly. That's pretty much why I've stayed away from it. Maybe it's time for a fresh test-drive. Doug
Something went terribly wrong. PC started locking up. Couldn't get on internet or even get to my control panel. Had a friend check it out. Found CPU running at 100% all the time. That turned out to be a rogue registry program. (Found that out after shutting down everything he possibly could) Lost IP address and could not find it. AT ALL. Even from the command prompt screen. Also found out that Symantec had taken over one of the drivers and both drivers had the nice little yellow sign with the exclamation mark telling me " You ain't got s***" So basically I have a big PC that is a vegetable. :smack: This did not turn out like I had hoped. And on top of that, I got the wife telling me "You shouldn't have messed with it !!!!"
Hi hx35543

Something went terribly wrong. PC started locking up. Couldn't get on internet or even get to my control panel. Had a friend check it out.
Found CPU running at 100% all the time. That turned out to be a rogue registry program. (Found that out after shutting down everything
he possibly could) Lost IP address and could not find it. AT ALL. Even from the command prompt screen. Also found out that Symantec
had taken over one of the drivers and both drivers had the nice little yellow sign with the exclamation mark telling me " You ain't got s***"
So basically I have a big PC that is a vegetable. :smack:
This did not turn out like I had hoped. And on top of that, I got the wife telling me "You shouldn't have messed with it !!!!"


I don't know what you have done to put your machine in this state. But I think you should use
system restore to get back to a known good state.

Start, then All programs
Accessories, then tools
system restore

Pick a known good date. Available restore points will be bolded.

When done, come back and tell us what you want done. From the
bottom and up. And how the PC behaves.

Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI