This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] RE: Anitvirus / Internet Security / Backup Software

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I hope everyone is doing well. I have a quick question that I hope you can help me with. I have a small home office with 2-4 computers connected. I use Windows XP Pro and I'm currently using Norton Internet Security and Norton System works. I've used AVG, Trendmicro in the past (all failed and I ended up with Viruses they couldn't identify or protect from) so now I'm at the point where I not sure which is the best software provider for an anitvirus/internet security and back up utility. I have recently had a my backup hard drive with all my pictures fail after 1 year and now it's going to cost a fortune to get the data so backup and time are definitely a concern even if I need to buy additional/separate software for that. So part of my concern is that my machines performance is not affected because of the resources used by the antivirus program. The prgrams that I use for work are Act, Microsoft office and outlook, mozilla and internet explorer mainly. I have heard that I should also get a ghost program that can just back up everything and I know that norton has this but I'm not sure which maybe the best solution. Plus norton's support really sucks when you need help. Aka it costs $100 for them to tell you what and where a virus is that they don't identify. BS!!! (As you can see I recently had a bad experience with them) My question is which software do you recommend and why (for regular antivirus protection, using the internet and ideally a ghosting backup software? I've seen the Kapersky is great for finding files norton and others don't but I've read that the scans and logs are vague and the software is ok. Please advise or help me choose a good provider for my home office. Any advise or experiences is greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Jimmy
Hi jdurham05,

:welcome:

My name is Tomk. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. HijackThis logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:

  • I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

This doesn't sound like you are currently having a malware problem. Therefore, you would be better served posting your question in the Tech forums. I would suggest the Other Software forum.

For some information on programs, I suggest you read the Security - Best Practices and Prevention forum. Specifically Preventing Malware - Tools and Practices for Safe Computing

Does this make sense to you or do you have any other questions I can try to help with?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI