This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Newbie. please help and hello to all

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello: I need some serious help from the geek squads. I am looking out for Antivirus, Internet Security (All-in-one) or separate package with firewall and some kind of Adware removal softwares. I plan to buy them and have them in my system at home and office. Can somebody suggest me what to buy. I am all over the place as far as reviews go and it doesn't help my decision at all. Thanks in advance. Hope to learn a lot from you guys. Cheers, Wise_donkey
Hello Wise_Donkey,

[external image: Posted Image]

Below I have posted my maintenance program for your perusal. It has worked for me for years, so I hope it helps you.

Post back if you need more assistance please.

kind regards,
_______________

Preventative Maintenance program to avoid Hyjackthis log sending

The following is my suggestion only. As it is very successful for me I thought I would share it.

Definitions of all installations must be kept up to date at least weekly if not daily.

Please follow the advice given here to avoid having your computer attacked by Malware and in turn to avoid asking for volunteer expert help to Analise your logs.

Firstly you need a Fire alarm - Zone Alarm Free. http://filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

Download and install the following program.

One Antivirus software program only as more than one will conflict.
AVG Free http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/

Online Free Malware scan cleaning utility
http://www.johannrain-softwareentwicklung….r-8-English.htm

Several Antispyware programs run manually, randomly, and not enabled at Startup.

AVG Antispyware Free http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-…pyware/us/frt/0
SuperAntispyware Free Edition http://www.superantispyware.com/
Spyware blaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html
Spyware Search and Destroy http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popu…h-Destroy.shtml
AVG Rootkit free http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/AVG-…load-48738.html
A_squared free http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/a_squared.html
Syware Guard http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

Temporary Internet File Cleaners and other Cleanup Utilities.
Here are three I suggest for you to choose from, however please choose only one.

Cleanup 4.5.2 http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio…8&Itemid=70
CCleaner http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
ATF Cleaner by Atribune http://www.atribune.org/content/view/19/2/
Also go to start>settings>accessories>systemtools>diskcleanup and follow the prompts.

Defragging Utilities

Defragmenter Analyser . http://www.raxco.com/analyze/
Use the Windows default defragmenter program this way: start>allprograms>accessories>systemtools>defragmenter.

OR

IObit Smart Defragmenter http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5318
Auslogics degragmenter Free http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download
  • Scan for Adware, Spyware and all Malware WEEKLY/DAILY.
  • Clean your Temporary Internet files and History list every 3 Days.
  • Clear your SSL state every 3 Days.
  • Clear your Java files in your Java console every 3 Days
  • Empty the Recycle bin every 3 Days.
  • Defrag'your hard Drive every 5 Days. (I actually analyse mine and only defrag when necessary)
  • Scan for Viruses and Trojans every 4 Days.
  • Degauss your monitor by turning it off completely and back on, every 5 days
  • Completely turn off' your machine every 5 Days. This is different than re-starting.
~~When you re-start, it does not shut down 100%~~

Now I suggest you open "control panel" and then "Internet options." With the 'internet options' open, you will see the general tab. Next click on the "content" tab. You will see "clear SSL state." This normally is performed automatically but I have come across old data left in here. While you are here, you should clean the "auto complete" as well. There is a lot of data stored here that can breach your security and privacy. It is best to uncheck all the three boxes and never use this feature, however if you like this feature, keep it.
To just clean the stored data, click the "auto complete" button and then the "clean passwords" and then OK and then the "clear forms" and then OK. It will wipe all of the stored information.

Now let's move on to the Java files. Open "control panel>settings and find "java plug-in" and click
on temporary internet files>settings>delete files>enable Applications and Applets, and Trace and Log file> okay.

Now while we have it opened, let's adjust the size from 'unlimited' down to "maximum 4 MB" and you
will be ready to go.

Another item that seems to get overlooked on today's maintenance routine is the "C:\windows\temp" folder. You should delete everything that is in this folder, BUT not the folder itself. If you have never done this, it will have a ton of stuff in it.
So run your disk cleanup, defrag, delete cookies etc often. There are other variations of these utilities
available although I have yet to find a problem with the ones that Windows provides.

To flush DNS cache click start, run, type cmd, and type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. (Note the space between the g /)

DNS = Domain Name Server, the cache referred to is where Windows stores all IP addresses it collects as you surf typing the IP to the domain name to surf to, this cache can grow large over a period of time causing a slowdown on your computer surfing and interaction.

I hope the above is of some help and if followed particularly by new members may alleviate the necessity of posting a HJT log.
Tallin: Awesome :banana: . This gives me a good start. I need to provide some good protection to my company computers. You think these are good for 5 business computers? :scratch: Thanks, :notworthy: Wise_Donkey
Hello Wise_Donkey,

We here at WTT help with all personal computer advise to assist you in every way we can. We do not however help Business IT departments with direction as this is a free help forum for members when they are unable to aquire assistance in any other way.

However, if you are the owner of all these computers you mention, look after them yourself for no profit as in a IT workshop you are free to use the advise given.

Have you an IT department at your place of business or are you the sole user of these computers with no assistance from an employed technician? Meaning are you an IT workshop? as we do not assist if you are making money from our instructions here on WTT. :smack:

Please take my questions without offence, but I must ask them for me to be clear.

kind regards, :)
tallin: No I am not into selling anything lol. :rofl: I know how to switch on a computer and use it. But I am so much into research (all non-IT related) that I have to manage 4 computers all by myself. :wall: Hence the question. All 4 are my personal computers, nothing related to work or company, no selling or buying going on :thumbup:. So i hope it is clear. Thanks, Wise_Donkey (and nothing was offensive, i am happy to answer and clear the questions :wavey: :thumbup: )
Hi again to you, Great, well then ask away and we will all chip in to help you in every way we can. I find that Maintenance Program great for me, I only have two computers, but they run clean and fast at all times. Post back if you need more help, that is after all what we are here for. kind regards, :thumbup: