We have 6 USB ports on our computer, 4 in back and 2 in front. We have our scanner, printer, and headphones/microphone set hooked up permanently in the back, leaving one open. For the front, we generally just connect a digital camera or her IPOD. Both of these, we generally unplug after use.
Yeah, again, in theory, what you describe should not give you any problems - but theory and real world rarely match.
If me, I would connect a hub to the spare back connector, then connect the Mic/HP set into the hub, and use the hub for the camera and IPOD and any other removable devices. The nice thing about hubs is they can be positioned in a convenient place.
That said, I don't think a hub will fix your current problem (since you can see the files), but I do think it helps prevent some issues from occurring again.
Sorry I could not be more helpful.
There is some good news around the corner and that is USB 3.0 is due out soon, and it is supposed to be (that's another way of saying, "in theory" ;)) much more robust in terms of connectivity issues. When that happens, I am sure there will be add-on PCI cards so everyone can take advantage of the improved bus.
Jeff, I was having the same problem with the 'little window' not popping up…I understand the frustration!
I decided to turn off my camera and unplug it from the front USB port . I plugged it back in, then turned my camera on….and what a miracle! The little window popped up asking me what I wanted to do
I decided to turn off my camera and unplug it from the front USB port . I plugged it back in, then turned my camera on….and what a miracle! The little window popped up asking me what I wanted to do
I'll have to remember that. I hope is works here too.
Well, I had all but given up on this, and lo and behold, it's now fixed. I think it was a combination of a couple items that was causing the issue. I think the IPOD messed with the settings on the USB. So I went through your suggestions again, trying every combination of changes I could think of. I believe what it was is one of the camera's settings got messed up and then the USB seemed to revert back away from the "prompt each time" message.
Oh, and I made sure to plug into the USB and then power the camera on. I don't know what the kicker was, and really don't care at this point, such a little thing can be so frustrating.
Thanks again,
Jeff