This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

How to install card reader?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Nikon digital camera and for some reason my computer has never been able to transfer pictures directly from the camera, instead freezing up during transfer. I originally solved this problem by buying a Compact flash card reader and this worked great. However recently one of the pins bent so I had to buy a new one. Now when i try to install the new one, I plug it into the USB port and get this message: Generic USB Card Reader Disk Drive Windows is installing software for your new hardware… …and then it freezes. I have to restart the computer. And my card reader is never recognized. (There is no icon under 'My Computer') I bought a different card reader and the same thing happened. I ran ScanDisk, Disk Defragmenter, sfc, and found no problems. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks alot
Third-party USB connected multi-card Readers can be torture to install sometimes. Is the computer the same HP 2500 laptop that you've posted elswhere? What Operating System does the computer run? Are you up to date with your Service Packs and updates? Knowing the brand and model of the card reader "may" help, so what is it? ______________________________________- The Driver for your previous multi-card Reader is probably still installed. Go into your Device Manager to uninstall any/all driver features related to multi-card Reader. Reboot "without" your new multi-card reader connected. Next: With your machine already booted and running, connect the new multi-card Reader by plugging in its USB connector. Does Windows attempt to "find Hardware" and "install driver for new hardware" ? If not, go back to Device Manager to remove any multi-card Drivers, as per above, then reboot without your multi-card Reader attached. Reboot. Attempt to install the multi-card drivers/software from the CD "before" connecting the multi-card Reader to your machine. The installation wizard may prompt you to attach the multi-card Reader USB at some point in the installation sequence. Follow on-screen prompts. __________________ If the above doesn't help, you "may" have purchased a faulty multi-card Reader, or the USB cable/connectors are faulty. Does it install an Run successfully on any other machine? If not, consider taking it back for replacement or refund to purchase a different brand/model. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI