I would just continue on here - since it is already started - the line between hardware and software is often blurred when the purpose of the software is to make the hardware work!
***
A couple more thoughts.
Drive Letter Assignments. As I am sure you are aware, when you add a storage device (hard drive, optical, memory card, cameras with built-in memory, external drives, etc.) Windows will assign a drive letter to the device. If you installed/configured your photo program to access the camera on G drive, for example, then at some point, a new drive, new partition, or memory card, was inserted, and the letters shifted, your program may be looking in the wrong place. A simple fresh install (or repair if the option is provided) of your photo program may work.
BTW, when the shift involves hard drives (including added or deleted partitions) and optical drives, this can actually cause confusion for some programs (like some Windows tools, or Office) as they lose track of where their installation files came from. This is usually easily corrected, but an annoyance just the same. "Forward thinking" planning when building a new computer and setting up HDs, getting it right the first time, pays off. And a trick I've use forever to minimize letter shift problems with opticals is immediately after the Windows install, I change the CD drive letter to "Q". I assign the DVD drive "V". So for every computer in the house (and there are currently 7), the CD is Q on every one, and the DVD is V. If I connect a memory stick, or camera, there is no letter shift.
I will note that problems with removable
storage devices are very often caused by corrupt caches. To minimize cache related problems, in Windows Explorer (double click on My Computer), right click on any of the Removable Disks, then select Properties > Hardware. Highlight the removable device in question and select Properties > Policies. Then ensure the "Optimize for quick removal" radio button is ticked and then "Ok" your way back out. You still should wait a second or two before pulling the device to ensure any required "housekeeping" is complete, but then you can just safely pull the stick or other USB device out without going through the Safely Remove Hardware icon.