This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Digital Pictures not autoplaying

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, You fine folks helped me with a signficant spyware/malware problem a few days ago. This resulted from running a bunch of programs including hijack this logs etc. The one thing that has happened since(that i've noticed so far ;) is that when I put my flash drive into my usb port it won't autoplay. I normally put my SD card from my Canon A570 IS into the flash into the USB port and load my pics that way. I even tried it from my cell phone with an adaptor drive and after some serious brain activity I managed to move them over in a non-traditional way. I have tried to look for a driver to no avail online as I don't remember getting a CD and if I did finding it now probably aint going to happen. Any ideas? Thanks again in advance for your help. Dan
Although you stated your question in the title, it's always good to say it again, and it doesn't appear as if your question is specifically in your post so much as a better description of it. As for your problem, try this: 1. Open up My Computer and right click on the drive with which you want to make autoplay. 2. Go to the AutoPlay tab and check the circle called "Select an action to perform:" and then find the action you want, click it once, and then click ok.
hi…ty for your reply. My problem is that I can't get my pictures from my camera to my hard drive as easily as before. Previously when I would put my SD card into the adaptor into my USB port it would autoplay and give me the screen to choose whether to copy/scan pics etc. When I open my computer and right-click on the H drive(removable disk) it doesn't even give me the option of autoplay. I tried this function on the other drives and can't find that prompt on any of them. Thanks again for your time. Dan
Ok so you have a USB adapter for your SD card so that you can plug the SD into the Adaptar and the Adapter into the USB. Thank you for clarifying.

Most likely what happened before wasn't something on your computer, it was more than likely a program you had installed. I had soemthing installed just like that on one of my other computers, it was Adobe Picture Previewer or something, and as soon as you plugged in a device it came up with thumbnails of all the pictures and you could check off ones to copy, delete, etc.

Somewhere in the malware removal your program may have gotten removed. I'll look see if I can find one for you.

As for the autoplay not showing up that is strange. Below is a screenshot of what I told you to do, only I'm doing it on my computer. Can you tell me what the difference is between when I do it and you do it? Such as do you not get the AutoPlay tab? Or do you not even get the pop-up when you right click the drive? Once you get a program AutoPlay will become unimportant but for future reference I would like to know why it doesn't show up for you.

][external image: Posted Image]
hi…. when I right click on any drive right now I get the following information…going down in order(sorry I don't know how to copy screen) open explore search ————- sharing and security scan H:/ Scan with Malaware… Winzip ————– format eject ———— cut copy ———— create shortcut rename ———– properties this same screen comes up with any of my drives. thanks.
I was having the same problem, posted on another forum and the following in quotes corrected my problem.

Hi,

Download and run this:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

It will give you a full list of all USB devices you ever attached to your system. Clean out all but the ones you actually use now, and also delete any entries related to your camera. Over time, the number of USB devices we all use grows to a level that it can choke your system up and make some of them not work. This should fix the problem if that is what happened to your system. Once you clean that up, reboot, reconnect your camera, and the system should rediscover it again.

You need to scroll far down to find the download instructions on the link above..

Hope it helps,

kind regards,
hi…I followed the above advice and deleted a few of USB devices that I am not currently using along with the camera in question. When I plug my camera into my USB port it now pops up the screen in question that had been missing. Thank you. :thumbup: The other thing still doesnt' work and that is when I put my SD card into what is labelled a SlapDrive SD/MMC and plug that into the USB port…it still makes that little noise recognizing a Plug/Play but doesnt' go any farther..ie the Wizard/Scan Pic screen. Any other ideas? This is just a slightly easier step normally than plugging in the camera…I know if this is all my problems my day isn't really that bad but just thought I'd ask. Blessings all round. Dan
[external image: Posted Image]

…I know if this is all my problems my day isn't really that bad but just thought I'd ask. Blessings all round. Dan

I laughed [external image: Posted Image] when I read the above. Yes I agree, unfortunately I cannot help as I do not know the answer, but some other kind soul will come by who does know and will post a reply I am sure.

Best regards,

when I put my SD card into what is labelled a SlapDrive SD/MMC and plug that into the USB port…it still makes that little noise recognizing a Plug/Play but doesnt' go any farther..ie the Wizard/Scan Pic screen.


That is because windows doesn't do that. You must of had some sort of program that did it for you and then it got removed during the malware removal process. I had this program once and it should do what it is you are describing.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html

:thumbup: Good one Vectris


Thanks, I can only hope it works for him, it should though as it worked fine for me, I just got tired of it popping up with the pictures all the time, thus I uninstalled it. Sadly I rarely help solve a problem :( , as much as I try. But every now then is better then never.
good evening again. While it is not the same program I had previously it appears to do the same task. I must say thanks again and I am more than satisfied with the help received and you can close this file off. Take care and God Bless you all.

good evening again. While it is not the same program I had previously it appears to do the same task. I must say thanks again and I am more than satisfied with the help received and you can close this file off. Take care and God Bless you all.

dbrnrosie
Thank you very much for posting back with your satisfaction of the help all the volunteers have given you on this occasion. That is all we ask is a 'thank you' now and again. Come back and see us when next you find a little help is needed.

Vectris [external image: Posted Image]
You are doing fine, no one person solves an OP's problem, we are a team here to assist within our comfort zone. Keep up the good work I say…. :thumbup:

kind regards,
Try going to "Default Settings" on the "Start" menu and see how your Pic, USB, and SD Card autoplay is configured. It may not help, but hey… Good luck nocturnal-001 Also some AV/security software blocks autoloading of pics, CD's, DVD's etc…might be worth a look

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI