Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Start button not working Windows 10

Windows 10

Best Answer Caymanbfw , 11 May 2020 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for all your help PhillPower2 and Struker, It is appreciated. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Caymanbfw

Caymanbfw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 06:57 PM

I put my clicker on the start button and start sign appears but when I click on it nothing happens.  Also search bar and volume icon does not work.  Videos and pictures will not open. Thumbnails are still visible but when i try to open them I get 'file system error (-2144927436).  I have tried the start menu repair tool and it has shown four items not fixed (required applications are not installed correctly) 

I have seen that creating a new user account may solve but not sure how to do it without access to the start menu.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:45 AM

Hello Caymanbfw,

Have you tried a system restore point that is before these issues were first noticed, if yes, see below; 

Try a system refresh, this effectively re installs Windows but keeps all your personal data, see info here

Tip, two things that you should always do first, create a new system restore point before updating or making any changes and back up all important data on a regular basis.

#3 Caymanbfw

Caymanbfw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 02:27 PM

Thanks very much PhillPower2.  I tried the restore point but it did not work.  It said it did not complete successfully and the specified restore point is missing or corrupt.  In googling restore point ( Ihave never done it before) I realise I have never enabled restore points.  The only restore point available in the process is to restore to prior to an update on May 5th 2020.  I guess I do not have a restore point prior.  I do not have access to the start menu so accessed restore via file explorer and then system properties.  I am now googling how to do a system refresh as you suggested.  I believe it is corrupted files as after it happened microsoft edge was not working and I reinstalled from the site and it works.

Thanks again, Brian

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 10 May 2020 - 02:50 PM

Right click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager or press Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Task Manager.

Click File then Run new task.

Enter cmd.exe

Check the Create this task with Administrative privileges box and press Enter to open an Administrator Command Prompt.

Run the following commands in sequence up to 3 times until they run without error:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
SFC /scannow

Reboot and see how your system runs now.

Edited by Ztruker, 10 May 2020 - 02:51 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 Caymanbfw

Caymanbfw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Ztruker I will try that now.  Brian

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 10 May 2020 - 03:16 PM

Good luck

Rich

#7 Caymanbfw

Caymanbfw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:45 AM

Fantastic!!!  Thank you very much!!!!  Got it all back.  I tried to create a restore point but after going through the process it said it could not be created because the shadow copy timed out while flushing data to the volume being shadow copied.  This is probably due to excessive activity on the volume.  It says to try again when the volume is not being used so heavily.  I was not doing anything except had the browser open.  Should I create a restore point and is it smart to set automatic restore points or do it manually periodically?

Thanks again,

Brian

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:30 AM

Glad to hear that the issue/s are resolved and thank you for letting us know  :thumbup:

If everything is working as it should be now would be a good time to create a new system restore point.

How often restore points are needed to be created varies from person to person, if you stick to what was post in my reply #2 you will not go far wrong tbh;

Tip, two things that you should always do first, create a new system restore point before updating or making any changes and back up all important data on a regular basis.

Making any changes includes installing any new programs and changing any settings within Windows.

NB: I will mention that depending on how often you expect to have to create a new restore point should be considered when you allocate the amount of space for them on the HDD and likewise the overall storage capacity of the HDD, example being one notebook that I use for general purposes is set as 2% of the 1TB HDD but only because the HDD is nearly empty.

#9 Caymanbfw

Caymanbfw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:55 AM   Best Answer

Thanks for all your help PhillPower2 and Struker, It is appreciated.

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:14 PM

You are welcome Caymanbfw  :)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 05:04 PM

Forget Restore Points. They are very fickle beasts at best.

Start doing image backups to an external hard drive using Macrium Reflect Free or Home. If you don't have en external hard drive, now is the time to get one as they are cheap. You can pick up a 1TB USB 3.0 Toshiba drive from Amazon for $50 to $60. Using Macrium (my preferred backup software, there are others) you can setup a schedule so it will backup daily, weekly, monthly, however you want.

That way when something like this happens, recovery is 20 to 30 minutes away.

There is no better safety net.

Here is a 1TB Toshiba Canvio for $47.99 from Walmart. Can't bet that and return policy is excellent.

Rich

#12 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:28 AM

Having a back up goes without saying but without having the necessary hardware and software they can`t be done so do you not think that rather than have no second chance at all having a recent system restore point is better than having no get out of jail card at all.

#13 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:56 AM

Phil, yes, absolutely, as long as the person is aware the possibility of the Restore Point not working is often quite high.

There is no good reason not to have the necessary hardware any more as the external drive really is cheap. Usually it's just a lack of  knowing about it.

Rich

#14 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:58 AM

I see where you are coming from with the restore points Rich as they don`t appear to be as reliable with post Windows 7 OSs but the sad fact is that too many folk only realise the importance of backing up when it is too late  :(  

#15 Caymanbfw

Caymanbfw

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:29 PM

Again, thanks for all the help and advice.  I will look into getting an external backup and explore how to do it starting with the software you recommended.  You are right that most of us do not think of this until we are already in trouble.  That's when we have to trouble you guys!!!