This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Why must I destroy everything I love?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

It never rains but it pours.
 
Last night I was trying to network my laptop to my desktop computer, both running windows 10.  Not knowing much about anything, I plugged the only ethernet looking cable I had in the house between them, tried following a few online instructions, gave up and did the user-friendly "Homegroup" option.
 
No dice, the computers couldnt read each other.  My guess is that I was using the wrong type of cable.
 
Now, the problem is that my laptop, which has a wireless card, is not connecting to the internet, or more specifically, it's only connecting to certain pages.  Google pages work and for some baffling reason, http://ewertb.soundlinker.com/is working - but almost any other site will not load in Chrome.  I get ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE.
 
so back to the internet to find solutions: I've done 
netsh winsock reset
and 
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
 
Still XXXXX not working  I think there's a chance the system might have gotten infected with malware, there was a trojan flagged the last time I ran a scan.  Oh yeah, and the other wireless connected computers in the house work fine.
 
Anyways this is my problem of the day.  Thanks for taking the time to read my post - any help would be appreciated.
 
Brent

 

Edited by paws: inappropriate word removed and replaced with "not working"… please remember this forum is used by people of 13 years of age and older.

 

Brent - why did I drop an F-bomb?

Have you set your router up with a password to enter it and a key that is unique to your secure network.

Have you entered this secured router key in that lap top after clicking on the wireless icon lower right?

If this is all done and it still does not work after a reboot, you must "Forget" any previous keys you have used.

Is your smart phone able to get WiFi with your home's secure network? Use the same key if the phone connects to the network.

 

All your devices should have the same key to connect to your home's secure network. This key is within the router. It is OK to broadcast your SSID to make it easier for you to locate your network.

 

Cables should be; both printer and PC should be connected to one of the ports on the router except the top one. That is for your ISP's cable.

 

These are elementary steps and I am sure a forum tech will jump in to further advise you if you are still having issues.

The router has /had only one cable going into it, and that was the spare cable that was left in when the internet was hooked up.  It doesn't connect with anything.  The router has nothing else going into it, the printer and laptop are both on the wireless netowrk, and yes every other device works fine on the wifi - just not the laptop.

 

The strange thing is that I can access google webpages, but nothing else - not this forum for example.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI