Software
Windows 8.1 upgrade
3 min read
Ztruker
Topic Starter
Just finished upgrading my Toshiba Satellite U205-S5057 laptop from Windows 8 Pro 32 bit to Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit. Went absolutely perfect. No glitches and everything except 8GadgetPack (Windows 7 gadgets for Windows 8) works. Even Classic Shell was still working.
I reinstalled 8GadgetPack (Repair actually) and set Windows 8.1 to boot directly to the Desktop now it looks and feels like Windows 8 did which is just like Windows 7 was.
Not everyone will have this kind of experience though. From what I'm seeing on some of the support sites there are many, many problems being run into, some catastrophic, so make sure you have a good backup before you attempt this.
terry1966
it's the "win 8 rt" to "win 8.1 rt" that's having the problems after an upgrade from my understanding and not "win 8" to "win 8.1"
this is a link to a fix that might help if someone finds their upgrade failing for win 8 rt to win 8.1 rt :- http://kickthatcomputer.wordpress.com/2013…guration-error/

this is a link to a fix that might help if someone finds their upgrade failing for win 8 rt to win 8.1 rt :- http://kickthatcomputer.wordpress.com/2013…guration-error/
Digerati
Same here. I had to reinstall 8GadgetPack too, but no problems with that. I also had to reinstall Start8, but that also went well.No glitches and everything except 8GadgetPack (Windows 7 gadgets for Windows 8) works. Even Classic Shell was still working.
I did have another problem that I am seeing reported a lot and that is that the computer does not go to sleep after installing 8.1. At first, it seemed that motherboard USB hubs were the issue, but nothing I did with them helped. Then I started to see reports that Homegroup was the problem. It seems if you have other computers on your network in a homegroup when you upgrade to 8.1, 8.1 joins the group then stays awake looking for input from the other computers.
So I removed all my other computers from my homegroup, then removed the homegroup from 8.1, rebooted and the dog took me for my daily walk. When we returned, my computer was asleep!
So to prevent sleep mode problems, - it seems all your homegrouped computers need to be awake and running when you upgrade to 8.1. If not, you may need to remove your home group, then set it up again - if you use one.
I am seeing another problem right now and that is in this text box as I type, my lines are not wrapping, but going outside the borders of the text box.
Ztruker
I don't use Homegroup, only Workgroup. I wonder is Homegroup is disabled as it was in Win 8? Will have to check.
Have not noticed if sleep is working or not yet.
Ztruker
Terry, Windows RT is for netbooks and that ilk, right?
I'm seeing lots of problems on all kinds of hardware from tablets to servers.
Anyone who upgrades to 8.1 without having a full backup image is nuts!!!!!!
It also reallysuc…. er …. inhales vigorously that you don't get the capability of creating a ISO or bootable flash drive with the 8.1 upgrade.
I'm seeing lots of problems on all kinds of hardware from tablets to servers.
Anyone who upgrades to 8.1 without having a full backup image is nuts!!!!!!
It also really
Digerati
A lot of folks are really upset with this. Having to download a 3+ Gb download file for each machine on your network is a pain - and perhaps costly for those with a pay-as-you-go Internet provider.It also really suc…. er …. inhales vigorously that you don't get the capability of creating a ISO or bootable flash drive with the 8.1 upgrade.
Quit typing then!Have not noticed if sleep is working or not yet.
terry1966
yes, anything that runs on an arm processor from my understanding and not the x86/amd64 architecture of the usual pc/laptops cpu.Terry, Windows RT is for netbooks and that ilk, right?
Digerati just read peter also on 8.1 is having the word wrap problem, so your not alone with that.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…st&p=834894PS !!!! For anyone who is viewing especially mods, my lines of typing are running off the right margin as I type
and until I click add reply.
I just thought you would like to know.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI