This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win 8.1 reinstall

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have the Win 8.1 disc that I used to do a refresh on my 8.1 laptop.

I want to clean out my desktop,8.1 also and wonder the best way.

I could do a refresh as I did with the laptop.

 

I have images of 7 and 8 and wondered if i should image back then do a clean install.

 

If imaging, do you do  updates etc before going to the store for the update to 8.1?

Thank you

what ztruker is saying is even if you re-image back to win 7 or 8 when you do a clean install with the win 8.1 disc all your really doing is wiping off those images from the hard drive and putting the win 8.1 on there, so why waste time putting the image back on the hard drive anyway, just use the win 8.1 disc and do the clean install.

 

only reason to put the images back is if you wanted the data included in those images and are going to do an upgrade (not the same as a clean install.) with the win 8.1 disc.

 

you always fully update the current operating system and image it before doing an operating system upgrade, the reason for making the image is just in case the upgrade goes wrong for some reason.

 

:popcorn:

I have the disc but no key so although the refresh worked for the laptop I thought one needed a key for an install or reset.

Peter, there is no doubt Microsoft turned our world upside down with Windows 8.

 

So, what you are trying to do is possible.  First I'm assuming a couple of things: 1) This is a newer computer that came preinstalled with with Windows 8 or 8.1; 2) You are using a genuine, original or equivalent Windows 8.1 setup disc. - Not an image, or a manufacturer provided recovery disc.

 

On a computer that came pre-loaded with Windows 8 or 8.1 the product key is now stored in the BIOS.  Windows is supposed to auto activate after install.  However, if your computer came with Windows 8 and you are reinstalling Windows 8.1 fresh then you won't be able to complete the install because the Windows 8 key is not compatible with Windows 8.1.  Now, certainly, you could restore Windows 8 and update back to Windows 8.1 from there.  But, I prefer a nice clean install direct from the Windows 8.1 disc.

 

Here's how we fix this little conundrum.

 

  • 1) Reload your system fresh from the Windows 8.1 disc.  When prompted for a product key use one of the following generic keys (these will not activate - they are just to get past the initial setup) - Make sure you match your original edition:
    • Windows 8.1 - 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
    • Windows 8.1 Pro - XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB
  • Once the installation is complete, you can load drivers or updates or whatever you need but your next goal should be to activate windows.  So, you'll have to recover your original Windows 8 product key from the BIOS.
    • Download http://rweverything.com/ - If the newest version "locks up" on your system try an older version.
    • Open the program.  Click the "ACPI" Icon in the toolbar and wait; Now click the "MSDM" Tab - Your product key will be revealed.
  • Now activate windows with the recovered product key:
    • From an administrative command prompt run: slui.exe 0x3
    • After a moment you will be able to copy and paste your product key and activate windows

 

Windows 8.1 should now be activated using the original, genuine, Windows 8 product key.  The problem here is that the Windows 8 key is sufficient to activate Windows 8.1, its just not sufficient to install with.  That is why you can update for free to Windows 8.1 after you have Windows 8 installed.  As we so often experience, I believe Microsoft didn't think many things through with this edition of Windows.

 

Take care

If I had been clearer, I could have saved you all your work.

I bought this pc with Win 7 pro installed. I then made a disc of Win 8 and went to 8.1 through the store.

So, although I am unable to follow your instructions, many other viewers will benefit from what you have contributed.

In the future I will post appropriately.

P.S. You are right about Windows - can you imagine the average user trying to perform all the gymnastics necessary to get their systems in running order.

Thank you

I made the mistake of using MSIE 11 and the font is little. I should have used Chrome.

I have a hard time pasting with 11 also but we have been all through that.

Hi, I fixed your font problem.  

 

So, yes, I didn't understand what operating system you started with.  But, it was clear that you were using Windows 8 at some point.  Was I wrong to assume you had a product key for 8?

 

The instructions above would work for you as long as you have a valid Window 8 key and a valid Windows 8.1 install disc.  You just wouldn't have to obtain your key from the BIOS.

 

I guess I can't say I have actually done it with a key not stored in the BIOS, but it should work.

 

Or am I off base on this entire thread somehow?

You explained the issue clearly.

What I, like so many others, am missing, is the key for 8.1.

I do have the disc with no key, I made from the iso of 8.1 but it only allows me to refresh not to install.

I have read that many people were upset at MS for leading us down an alley of hope then not giving a key and not being able to go back unless you made an image which I did, luckily.

 

I know they made short term money by not giving a key and making some buy it, but they really tarnished their name and showed a lack of integrity when they 'sold' the key and disallowed a return to 8.

Of course this is my opinion.

I have been active with Linux specifically Zorin and would not support Windows in the future unless I had no choice.

I find them hard to trust because they made errors they could have fixed but chose not to.

Thank you, however, for you post.

 

Well, that's what I have been saying though.  You are correct that you cannot install Windows 8.1 using the Windows 8 key.  However, you can install 8.1 with a generic key and then activate with the Windows 8 key afterwards.  The only limitation is that you can't install Windows 8.1 using the Windows 8 key.

 

So, if you have a valid Windows 8 key that you were using on this laptop, and you have a full Windows 8.1 installation disc, you can insert the disc, install it with one of the generic keys I provided, and then enter the Windows 8 product key after its done installing.

 

It sounds like you may not have an actual Windows 8.1 disc like you would get from retail / oem if it isn't allowing a fresh install?

I had forgotten that I do have a product key for both laptop and desktop for Win 8. I also have the Win 8.1 disc and Win 8 disc.

I am very glad you were patient enough to remind me . It has been a while since I did this and only did it once so I forgot. I am making note of your directions for my reinstallation folder and will keep it for when I need to reinstall 8.1 which will be sooner than later. 

Thank you very much for the help. and patience.

Peter

Hello appleoddity

If I may, I need to make certain of a few steps. I think the order is confusing me.

 

*I have a Win 8 product key written down for each machine.

 

1-Once I have completed the installation of Win 8.1  with the generic key + 8.1 disc, is this when I should perform Windows updates, update my printer and Office etc. or is this premature and done after Win 8.1 is totally set up?

 

2-then activate using the admin prompt slui.exe 0x3 and enter the Win 8 key I possess?

 

[Is there another way to access this besides slui.exe 0x3 -I am curious?]

 

I do not know what slui.exe 0x3 does but perhaps open a place for me to insert the valid key + wondered if there was another way to do this.

 

3-now I am done except getting my WMC which I have a key for.

 

Sorry about the redundancy and thank you for you help and patience.

 

Peter

Hi.  I created a reply but I must've gotten distracted and forgot to post it.

 

I believe when you install Windows with the generic key you will be working with a trial of the product.  It really doesn't matter when you activate it - it is fully functional until the trial period runs out.

 

To answer your question about the slui.exe command - it just opens the regular activation window where you can specify a new product key.  If you can find it otherwise, through control panel, you can accomplish the same thing.

 

My suggestion is that you: 1) Install Windows 8.1 2) Activate Windows 3) Install Windows Media Center 4) Do everything else you want.

 

If something goes wrong you won't be out a bunch of work if you have to start over again.

I understand and will perform Windows updates after activation. My gut tells me I should do that as soon as it is installed but you know better.

Thanks a again for your help.

Peter

Slui.exe.exe 0x3 says to enter the key from which I bought Windows or the prod key that came with the email.

I have a product key for Win 8 showing I bought Win 8 and am I to assume it is the trial you are referring to and that I install, activate then update and activate WMC etc.?

If so I'll try it now and get back to the forum.

Peter

Please start at post #5 and re-read.  I've already provided clear instructions here and feel like I am needing to repeat myself.

 

Use your Windows 8 key to activate the Windows 8.1 installation.  You do not need to pull it from the BIOS.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI