This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How bad is Windows 8 ?

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am getting a new laptop that has windows 8. I have heard nothing good about it, but that is the way the computer comes. Most people, according to reviews, wish they could somehow get windows 7 back. What is your opinion? Thanks.
It's faster, more stable, and more secure. It let's you run all your traditional desktop apps, or the new modern style apps. So what's not to like? The start button and menu are gone. They've been replaced with "corner hotspots" and a new Start screen. I actually prefer the new Start screen, but it can be a jarring change. Resistance to change is why people don't like Windows 8. However, Windows "Blue" is an update to Windows 8 that will ship in June. There is much conjecture that Blue will bring back an option to use the Start Button. So if you just can't get used to the lack of a Start button, you may not have wait long.
I was just reading reviews that people said they didn't like windows 8. I already bought a computer with windows 8, so it is too late for me to get "blue" unfortunately. The store bought the computer said that you can simply convert the looks of the 8 to a 7. Hope I am not going wrong with buying the windows 8, I have 15 days to return it!! Of course coming out in June doesn't mean it will be on the shelves by then. Thanks.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. "Blue" will be a FREE update available for all Windows 8 users, or version 8.1 if you will. It won't cost you a dime.

I was just reading reviews that people said they didn't like windows 8.

The problem with reviews is they typically last a day or two. They said the same thing with Windows 3, Windows 95/98, XP, Vista/W7, and now again with W8. But in most cases, those same people, once they gave themselves, and the new versions a chance, would never go back.
Last I heard, Blue did not contain a Start button or any way to get one without a 3rd party application.

I use Start8 from Stardock but there are lots of free ones available, see here: How to get the Start menu back

Classic shell is what most people are using.
don't forget patti now you have a new laptop/pc the very first thing you should do is make sure you create a full back up image on dvd's and a system repair cd and keep them in a safe place. :popcorn:
Oh - not the repair disk thing again, that was just so complicated for me. The repair disk will be in a safe place, can I back up on my external hard drive for the rest? Now I should wait until the tech comes and transfers all my data over, right? That was a pretty dumb question, wasn't it.
if you have a tech coming round get him to make you a full backup image set of dvd's (usually needs 5 blank dvd's i think.) along with a repair disc after transferring your data across. after that you can do any further backups to your external drive, knowing if anything bad happens you will always have the dvd's to fall back on. :popcorn:

don't forget patti now you have a new laptop/pc the very first thing you should do is make sure you create a full back up image on dvd's and a system repair cd and keep them in a safe place.

:popcorn:


I already made a repair disk a couple of months ago - remember what a hard time I had with it. Can I use that one, or because it is windows 8 I probably need to make a new one.
think the repair disks only work for the pc you made them on, so i'd recommend you make another one for the new pc. also think they only work if your hidden partition isn't damaged, and why you really need a full image backup of the hard dirve on dvd's along with the repair disk, just in case the hard drive fails or the hidden restore partition gets damaged. :popcorn:
well I got my new computer and my new printer and the technician came out and said it all up we made a rescue disk we back to doll up and made a nother backup copy of my important things so now I will have them in 3 places. This is the first laptop I've ever had and it is Windows 8. So between the two is very challenging I find a laptop very hard to type on but I am sure I will get used to it thanks have a nice day bye bye

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI