I am trying to install a game onto my computer, the instructions say it should load automatically, but it isn't. I tried going onto "My Computer" and going to my D drive, but it just tells me to "please insert a disc". I also went to "Run" and put "d://setup.exe" (which i've had to do more then a few times with this computer), but it comes up with the same message.
It isn't a burned copy, straight out of the case.
Appreciate any help I can get!
(It's a Windows XP operating system)
Hi BlueJaysFan!!!! Welcome to WhatTheTech!!!
I have a feeling this is going to be one of those lightbulb moments. A lot of newer software (fresh out of the package) is coming on DVD now, not CD. This means, if you have a plain jane CD reader in your system, this is the problem you're going to see.
Take a look at the packaging of the disc. Does it say CD, or DVD?
Now, take a look at the front of your CD drive. Does it say CD, or DVD?
If, by some chance, you DO have a DVD reader in your computer and the disc does not work in that drive, then there is one of two possibilities. The disc is bad, or, your drive is bad.
Another possible is the lens may be dirty, more so if it's had a lot of use, this assumes the drive is capable of reading the disk as said above, the other problem I see sometimes is the drive just does not like the brand of media used, although this is less likely on a manufactured disk, but if you have everything as it should be and still can't read the disk, see if other disks can be seen of the same type, then if you have one run a cleaner, it is a disk that has some brushes on which you add a drop of fluid too (it comes with it), depending on what you get anyway, see if running this helps, failing that given these drives are so cheap these days it may be easier to simply replace it, hope you get it sorted.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI