This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Disk drive

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello again, I recently bought a game for the computer. I put it in the disk drive, the light went on, and it made the sound like it was reading the disk. Nothing happened. I tried to manually start the disk, and it said "Please insert a disk into the drive". I tried he disk on a friends computer and it ran without a problem. I think the disk drive itself is broken, or needs to be updated(if that is even possible). Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated because i have no idea how to fix this. Thanks alot.
It is not likely it needs updating. However, it might need cleaning or a blast of compressed air or dusting gas to clear out any dust that may be covering the lens. Do other CDs or DVDs play fine?
I tried an older game as a test (it had been installed and uninstalled prior to now), and i had to manually run the disk drive through Run D:\, but i could get it to work. It has always been weird. If i hit the button to make it close, it tries to close, but cant, so i have to give it a little nudge to make it go in, and it will go in the rest of the way by itself. Ill be sure to try the compressed air though. Ill let you know how that goes. EDIT: Compressed air didnt work, although now it does close on it's own, which i guess is a tiny improvement. STill won't play the disk though.

EDIT: Compressed air didnt work, although now it does close on it's own, which i guess is a tiny improvement. STill won't play the disk though.


If you open my computer, double-click the CD drive with the disk in it, (click the "folders" button at the top.)

do you see a list of folders in the root of d:\ ? or anything ?

if you do, then the disk may not have an autoplay folder, and you would need to locate the Setup file and double click it. Usually it is "Setup.exe", and should be in the root folder.
What about music CDs? DVD movies? My "guess" at this point is the drive is bad, perhaps the optics are not quite in alignment. How old is the drive? Have you looked inside to make sure all the cables are securely fastened?
I just learned that i am getting a new computer. This one is pretty old and had alot of problems, along with past spyware problems. I guess that solves that problem. Thanks alot for the suggestions! I think the problem that the drive was bad. DVDs and music never worked on it either. I have one more question, although its off topic, i dont think its worth starting another thread about. For the new computer, i was thinking about McAfee Security software and Zone Alarm for protection against viruses, trojans, ect. What would you guys recommend for virus protection?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI