This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

PC can't read/doesn't recognize discs

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Whenever I put a disc in I can hear spinning,but then it stops. I try to open it via My Computer-CD Drive D, and then I just get a prompt asking to please put a disc in drive C. I don't have that problem with programs i've installed or discs I've backed up. I don't know what the problem is. Any suggestions?
Please give us a little more information.

You've distinguished between various types of CD's that you do and don't have the problem with.
Please be specific.

For instance:
(hypothetical example)
The drive recognizes and I can read any CD that I've burned to save documents and files.
And the drive recognizes the Installation CD for Windows Operating System or HP Printer Installation CD.
But the drive will not recognize (What kind of disk? Like a Music CD? or something else?)


please put a disc in drive C

This seems quite "Odd", Because Drive C:\ is almost always your primary Hard Drive. Hmmmm.

Have you looked in Device Manager to see if there are any yellow or red warnings, especially for the entry:
CD ROM

Let us know how you are progressing with your problem-solving.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI