Software
CDs aren't being detected on my computer
3 min read
EricktheTwin
Topic Starter
I've been trying to install a game onto my computer with the CD, but it says that I don't have a CD in the drive. When I try it, after the disc is inserted, the computer starts making noises as if the disc worked, but then it just slows down and completely stops. I've run the FixIt that is offered on the Windows Support site to no avail and I've run the sf/scannow on Command Prompt, where I was told that it had corrupt files that could not be fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Ztruker
Two things you need to do first:
1. See if the game CD works in another computer.
2. See if any installation CD works in your computer.
Also, is the CD purchased or burned by you or a friend (a copy of the real game CD)?
EricktheTwin
Yes, the CD works on another computer and it is a purchased copy.
Tomk
How about the answer to this?
2. See if any installation CD works in your computer.
EricktheTwin
Other installation CDs don't work.
Ztruker
Does anything work in the optical drive? Can you play a music CD or read a data CD? Sounds to me like the drive is defective.
If not, does it show in BIOS Setup?
- Does the drive show in Device Manager?
- If so, right click on it and select Uninstall. If asked, do not allow it to uninstall the driver.
- Shutdown and reboot. Vista should see the drive and reload the driver.
If not, does it show in BIOS Setup?
EricktheTwin
The driver is shown in Device Manager, but when I select Uninstall it gives me a warning saying I will uninstall it. I declined it, because I don't know if I should continue that. However, I will check the BIOS Setup.
EDIT: Hold on, do I actually need to check BIOS Setup? I'm worried that I might cause my computer to not start-up properly and I'm not sure how necessary it is to check BIOS Setup.
paws
Hi EricktheTwin, Ztruker has provided you with his usual excellent advice…..
it would be wise to follow it…
paws
it would be wise to follow it…
RegardsDoes the drive show in Device Manager?
If so, right click on it and select Uninstall. If asked, do not allow it to uninstall the driver.
Shutdown and reboot. Vista should see the drive and reload the driver.
See if that helps.
If not, does it show in BIOS Setup?
paws
EricktheTwin
I'm sorry, I'm just confused. What exactly am I supposed to be asked when I select Uninstall on the drive in Device Manager?
8210GUY
I suspect the lens is dirty, but to add to the great advice above, try a different media, eg if this is a CD, try a DVD, or vice versa, often one will work and the other wont, and the one that wont is usually the one that you use all the time, but I have had systems where both types of media fail, but the reason why one plays where another doesn't is due to each media type having it's own lens, thus CD's fail while DVD's don't, generally speaking.
You can get lens cleaners from most places these days, including supermarkets, they come in the form of a disk, and one side has brushes on, follow the instructions and give it a few goes, in my experience by this stage the lens is usually too dirty to be helped by this, but it can't hurt to try, and if nothing covered by any of us works, then the simplest option is get a new drive, and given how cheap they are now, and the tools\experience required to clean the lenses directly, more so as it means exposing laser equipment, this is the fastest and simplest way to go, hope it helps.
8210GUY
Expand the optical drive entry, right click on it and select Uninstall, close the options and reboot, or at the prompt where it asks about rebooting accept that, then allow the system to automatically reinstall it again once rebooted, it will have the drivers already so no need to worry.I'm sorry, I'm just confused. What exactly am I supposed to be asked when I select Uninstall on the drive in Device Manager?
EricktheTwin
Alright, I've done so and it still can't detect any CDs.
Ztruker
Then I would say the optical drive is bad and the only fix is to replace it.
Is it a DVD-ROM/CD-RW (DVD reader/CD burner) or a DVD-RW (DVD burner) drive? You can pick up new ones for $25 to $75.
EricktheTwin
Alright then, I suspected as much. Thank you very much guys. 
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI