Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

PC won't recognise game discs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 say-no-2-trojans

say-no-2-trojans

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

Hi, please can someone help with the following: My PC has stopped recognising game CD-ROMs It will play CDs and read software discs (eg installed new printer recently and accepted the disc no probs) But when I insert a game disc (and I have tried several) nothing happens and looking at the drive in My Computer it shows an empty drive Thanks Dave

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi say-no-2-trojans,

Are you sure your optical drive accepts and runs DVDs (most games are no longer on CDs).

If it does, it sounds a bit weird if it is only happening with game disks. Are they retail or copied games? Some copy attempts fail due to copyright protection and you just end up with a blank disk.

If the disks are OK, check Device Manager for any yellow exclamation marks.
Right-click My Computer / Manage / Device Manager. No exclamation marks?

Ok, while in Device Manager expand DVD/CD-ROM drives / right-click your CD unit's name / click on uninstall. Reboot when completed as this will automatically re-install a fresh driver.

See how you go now.

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 say-no-2-trojans

say-no-2-trojans

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

All sorted now thanks - uninstalled and then rebooted worked a treat (they were CDs and originals) Cheers Dave

#4 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

Happy to have been of assistance :thumbup:

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.