Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE7 Takes too long

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sssternesss

sssternesss

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:05 AM

Don't mean to revive a settled issue but I'm having a similar problem with IE7 on my Vista laptop and run out of ideas. Just within the last day or two IE has slowed down beyond reason. It appears to be stuck while trying to connect to the websites saying "Waiting for [url="http://XXXXX"."]http://XXXXX".[/url]. I've tried resetting everything back to defaults, my internet connections are all fine, there's no viruses or spyware, and my IE actually does work but at a severely slow snail's pace.. I tried to load a web page on IE an hour ago and it's still waiting to load. It actually is loading the page but I've never seen any websites load that slowly. My internet works completely fine in both Firefox and Google Chrome but IE has gone retarded. Has anyone encountered this before and know of any suggestions??

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:22 AM

Hi sssternesss and Welcome. Separate problem, separate thread - I have moved your post to a new thread to avoid hijacking the other user's thread, and so your problem can received the dedicated attention it deserves.

I've tried resetting everything back to defaults

How? Most problems with IE are caused by conflicts with add-ons. To really reset IE, you go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced, then you click the Reset button to totally remove all added stuff and to reset all back to out-of-the-box defaults. Did you do that?

Have you scanned for malware?
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 sssternesss

sssternesss

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

Hi sssternesss and Welcome. Separate problem, separate thread - I have moved your post to a new thread to avoid hijacking the other user's thread, and so your problem can received the dedicated attention it deserves.

I've tried resetting everything back to defaults

How? Most problems with IE are caused by conflicts with add-ons. To really reset IE, you go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced, then you click the Reset button to totally remove all added stuff and to reset all back to out-of-the-box defaults. Did you do that?

Have you scanned for malware?

Yeah I've already done the resets in IE before ever seeking out help.. No malware found on my computer either, I scan it pretty regularly. Running everything over again just in case something didn't take before considering that IE wasn't working very well before it slowed down. Before it slowed down, I could get online very easily, but I couldn't fill out forms half of the time, and most of my settings wouldn't stay in place. I was constantly logged out of sites that I rarely log out of (ie. google,) and when I would log back in, settings wouldn't stay in place for personal web pages as if IE had severe short term memory loss.

#4 sssternesss

sssternesss

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

All that I can figure out is that maybe something happened to my IE program itself. Maybe an unknown malware attached itself to my program to keep it from loading web pages correctly. I finally gave up on it after just being utterly annoyed by it and replaced it with IE8. Now it's working like normal, but still ironically nowhere near as quick as Firefox or Chrome. IE is still taking a minimum of 5 seconds+ to load pages online while the other browser programs open instantly. Guess IE8, although marketed as being faster, is still too far into it's infancy to sport web page downloads as quick as it competitors..

#5 sssternesss

sssternesss

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

Oh, also any idea as to why everytime I click on a link in IE8 it automatically opens a new window instead of recycling the window I'm already using?

#6 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

Now it's working like normal, but still ironically nowhere near as quick as Firefox or Chrome.

Guess IE8, although marketed as being faster, is still too far into it's infancy to sport web page downloads as quick as it competitors..

Well, then that is not normal. My testing shows IE8 faster on some pages, slower on others - in other words, it's a wash. You machine, on the other hand, seems to have problems. Tell us about your hardware.

Are you using the Google Toolbar? If so, it is not yet ready for IE8. It also has a setting to "Open links in new windows".
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#7 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

It was suggested that flushing the DNS cache might help with your IE problems. It sure could not hurt so I would suggest the following:

Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right-click on Command Prompt
Select Run As Administrator
Type: ipconfig /flushdns then press Enter
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#8 sssternesss

sssternesss

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

Its running a bit faster now. Guess it was just slower before because it was a fresh install and was still downloading updates. It's pretty quick by IE standards, but still not nearly as quick loading as Chrome. Just wish I didnt have to switch over to a newborn version of IE to fix my problem since now I get to look forward to whatever bugs IE8 runs into. Too bad Chrome doesn't integrate virus software into its browsing to make it a more formidable competitor.

#9 sssternesss

sssternesss

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

P.S. I used to have toolbars on my browsers but removed all of them since I never used any of them. The only advantage any of them had were their popup blockers, but I try not to browse to any unknown or untrusted sites to avoid that issue in the first place.

#10 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

Well, IE7 and IE8 have built in pop-up blockers that do a pretty good job.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────