IE7 Continually Locks Up
4 min read
There can be many reasons why it hangs, so
Some questions first;
Do you have an updated version of Java installed? (Along wth updated flash player/macromedia flash) Latest Java should be 6.0 6, can be found here: LINK, take number 4 on the list. Remember to uninstall old java and reboot before installing new java.
Have you tried disable any possible addon's? Disable all at once will let you know its an addon causing the hang.
Have you tried re-install IE7?
Do you have any security programs working via IE7 when browsing? (site-advisor's, link-scanner, non-IE7 phising filters, anti-virus with capabilty to scan sites before entering, etc.)
Regards Abydos
If add-ons are the issue then how do I determine which add-ons are creating the problem without re-adding one at a time?
Theres no easy shortcut on that one I'm afraid. The alternative is to look up each addon and search for related problems. Which ultimately is much slower than adding one addon each 60 minutes or so to pinpoint the culprit.
I haven't reinstalled IE7 yet, and may not have to. Why would, or might, that have been necessary?
Thats the easiest way to determine a faulty install due to an bad install-file. Now that it is pointing towards a addon, this step is no longer useful.
You had asked whether or not I had any security programs working with IE7. I'm not sure how to go about finding out. Suggestions?
You'll be the one to know which security programs you are using, and what they do. I can't guess at which program(s) may be causing this type of behaviour on your machine. I am by far not an security expert, altho I would think I have alittle more than basic knowledge. But, certain security programs as I mentioned, scans links and sites before entering the site. In particular site-advisor's
does this. The most known site-advisor's are Mcafee-Siteadvisor, Trendprotect and Web Security Guard.
Add-ons I turned off include Spybot S&D Configuration, Spybot S&D IE Protection and SpywareGuardDLBLOCK.CBrowserHelper. There are two which I can't determine what they do - Diagnose Connection Problems . . . and Research.
If its Spybot S&D thats the culprit, uninstall and install latest version anew, and see if it works.
SpywareGuard's browserhelper should not interfere with generel browsing. It keeps your browser safe from being HiJacked. And doesn't do anything active related to connectivity.
The last two, I can't say either. Don't know them (Passionate FireFox user).
But once you have pinned down the addon as mentioned above, we can dig alittle further. As of now, investigating all possible avenues is time wasting and not very productive.
I also read that un-ticking the two Http 1.1 boxes on the Advanced Tab helps. True?
Can't see what that should accomplish(?) HTTP 1.1 ensures that different browser's and servers can operate and function with each other. It also helps in a variety of other ways. It helps for example with quickening the way you are connecting to pages with inline documents. If anything, turning it off may lead to connection problem with many webpages.
Also, to turn off IE7's phishing filter.
Its part of the IE7 online security. Turning it off is not adviceable, unless you have another security program to take over that function. It may slow your browser abit. But personnally I could live with that, instead of risking being re-directed to phising sites for example.
Security bogs a pc down, thats a fact. But its either that or stay unprotected. Not a hard choice……
Thanks for your help so far
You're welcome
When you have found the addon which is the culprit, post back and we'll have a go finding out why, or if you can live without it.
Regards Abydos
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI