Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Extremely Slow Browser Load

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Boston

Boston

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

When I click on a Browser Icon (Either IE7 or Firefox) it takes over 2 minutes for the browser to load! Once the window is established, I seem to get a good response within the session. However, if I try to open another window (either as a seperate window or as a new Tab) it also takes over 2 minutes to load! Can you help me?

I recently added 1 GM of RAM (2 GB total) and did alot of work cleaning my system of viruses and malware with the help of TomK in the Malware forum. He suggested I try to use IE without Add Ons...I tried that, but no change. He then suggested I try this forum for help.

What info do you need from me to help diagnose and heal my sick system?

thanks in advance for the help!!
BostonJohn

http://forums.whatth...577#entry515577

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

Hi Boston,

Try this link for information regarding your issue with IE 7 0. I googled it for you with other sites here that may cover your problem.

Best regards,

Edited by tallin, 04 January 2009 - 03:47 PM.

#3 John B..

John B..

Honors Grad

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

Hi BostonJohn,

In addition to what tallin said:

Did you start having this problem when you got infected? It is a pity that you got infected, because otherwise determining where things went wrong with your browser would be much easier. Did you start having this problem after installing any new software/drivers/hardware or not really?

Let's try to start Internet Explorer the really hard way. This may do something different than when you normally click a shortcut. Please go to Start, under Accessories click Command Prompt and enter the following line (including quotation thingies):
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

Hi Boston. Since both IE and FF have the same problem, it can't be a browser specific problem. My guess is you have some prograns starting at boot time that are affecting your network speed. I know I had similar problems when I switched to AVG Free 8.0 with their new Link scanner. It seriously degraded my browser opening new links. Let's see if we can isolate what is causing this.

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem.

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP or Vista:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista

First, open Control Panel and click on Windows Firewall. If it's Off, turn it on because you will be disabling any other FIrewall and Anti-virus in the following steps.

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab then the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if how your browser works now.
If okay then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if how your browser works now.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best. Enable everything else you disabled.

Disable Windows Firewall if you enabled it at the start of this process.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown