Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91701 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Waiting for http takes way too long

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 bughater

bughater

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Web surf junkie among other things

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

I have McAfee Security Suite, lifetime subscription with SuperAntiSpyware, and SuperAdBlocker(must have). They all work great. No infections but low level cookies. Time to Time I'll download an antispyware/malware application to futher scan inaddition to what I already have. My system appears to be clean. So my theory for this "waiting for http" deboggle has to do with IE7 settings. Is there anyone out there able to point me in the right direction to possibly rectifying this problem? Windows Vista Home Basic sp1 32 bit C: 112GB free space Physical memory no more than 42% when online and scanning I only have one toolbar active (google)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

Posted Image bughater,

Let us wait now until you have been cleared of Malware in the HJT forum. If you feel you need our help here in the technical forum of WTT please feel free to post back as we are happy to assist.

If you have not had a reply in five days please post a gentle reminder here.

Best regards,

#3 bizarrebob

bizarrebob

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Computers. Video games.

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hey bughater, Can you let me know how long you have to wait for a site to load? Have you tried a different browser etc? And personally (just my opinion) i wouldn't recommend too many different spyware scanners as i've had experiences where they seem to not get on that well and cause conflicts. Either way, IE is pretty slow at the best of times in comparison to my personal favorite, Opera. Mozilla Firefox is a good one too. I just cannot ever like any IE release. It just seems so... basic and slow. My advice? Try a different browser and see if it makes any difference. And if you could elaborate on the problem it'd be helpful. Thanks, 'Bob

::: My Spec :::

Windows 7
Intel Core Duo @ 2.8ghz
4gb OCZ RAM @ 1066mhz
ATI 4870 512mb

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online

#4 bughater

bughater

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

Already removed the extra antispyware applications. I use the remaining McAfee and Windows Defender. It seemed to benefit. The Firefox and Opera I'll give strong consideration. Don't know how I can make that transition considering I have IE7. Wouldn't I have to restore my whole system for that. Might not be worth it especially its no better than IE7. The wait at times be so long I just hit the little red x and surf elsewhere. Dont think I have any spyware and/or viruses on board. Willing to bet the problem lies somewhere in my settings. I even turned off phising.

#5 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

Hi Bughater No, you don't have to do anything with your system. You can have many browsers on one system. You can even have multiple versions of IE if one knows how to fiddle with the registry (Not recommended) But I have tried having IE version 5-6-7 on one machine :lol: My own personal favorite is FireFox, but thats more because of some addons I wouldn't want to be without at the moment ^_^ Regarding your Anti-Spyware, I would close down Windows Defender and go with SuperAntispyware, it is much more potent imo. At the moment, browsers like Opera, FireFox, Flock and Avant are some of the better ones. Google Chrome still have "baby-bugs", but it looks very promising, and boy it is fast! Just remember to give a browser some time, before deciding wether it is a keeper or not. :D Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#6 bughater

bughater

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

I still have SuperAntiSpyware and SuperAdBlocker. I went to msconfig and disabled them from starting up. Its been several days since I used them and my computer seems to work fine except the current problem at hand. I did find out about how to download Opera and I fiddled with it. It appears right now to be faster. It is way different than IE7. It'll take me several days to configure it to my understanding. And you say Google Chrome may be a keeper. I like the aspect of speed you mentioned. I will keep you posted.

#7 bizarrebob

bizarrebob

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Computers. Video games.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:41 AM

Hi Bughater

No, you don't have to do anything with your system.
You can have many browsers on one system. You can
even have multiple versions of IE if one knows how to
fiddle with the registry (Not recommended) But I have
tried having IE version 5-6-7 on one machine :lol:

My own personal favorite is FireFox, but thats more because
of some addons I wouldn't want to be without at the moment ^_^

Regarding your Anti-Spyware, I would close down Windows Defender
and go with SuperAntispyware, it is much more potent imo.

At the moment, browsers like Opera, FireFox, Flock and Avant are some of the
better ones. Google Chrome still have "baby-bugs", but it looks very promising,
and boy it is fast!

Just remember to give a browser some time, before deciding wether it is a
keeper or not. :D

Regards Abydos

Agreed. Just to note: I wouldn't recommend the Google Chrome browser until they fix all the security issues. I've heard that the browser has very severe loopholes in it meaning your security can be compromised. A bunch of hackers looked into the source code and found it to be full of exploits. But i've tried it and you're right - it's fast! I think once it's been ironed out it'll be a nice clean browser.

'Bob

::: My Spec :::

Windows 7
Intel Core Duo @ 2.8ghz
4gb OCZ RAM @ 1066mhz
ATI 4870 512mb

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online

#8 bughater

bughater

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

I am trying out this Opera and it is definitely faster than IE7. I tried them interchangeably and see a great speed difference. For some reason IE7 has a problem loading pages in a timely manner. "Waiting for http" maybe has something to do with a Windows update perhaps. I only noticed it in the past couple of months. Yesterday, I reset IE7 from the internet options (advanced) and the problem is still prevalent. I like some of the options that Opera offers. I will not dabble with the toolbars that Opera has to offer. They look Phishy to me. IE7 is a better choice if not for the current problem I am having I'd go back. For now, I am loving Opera. It does everything I ask it to do fast.. I am so satisfied, I will not dabble with Firefox, Google Chrome or any of the other browsers you mentioned. Trying to fix that IE7 problem held me back long enough. I have to move on. Oh, I assume since Opera is working fine and being on the same computer under the same account there isn't a possibility of any malware, spyware, viruses, etc on my computer. In fact, the problem with IE7 is either a settings issue (possibly my fault), or a Microsoft issue (too many options for tweaking security). I give up.

#9 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hi bughater,

You mention having a "lifetime" subscription with McAfee.... as if that is some sort of good thing to have "lifetime subscription".

To the best of my understanding, McAfee's "marketing plan" is to announce to new annual subscribers that their account is now a "Lifetime Subscription"

What this really means is that McAfee will "automatically bill" your bank card for continuing annual fees.
It is "not" free for the lifetime of your computer or anything like that. It will cost you an annual fee for each year sequentially.
There have been a fair number of complaints posted about this "automatic" process and subscribers have had difficulty getting McAfee to release them from continuing automated billing.

You've done a good amount of work with jpshortstuff over in Malware Removal.
You apparently have no malware problem at this time.
Your machine is apparently running fine at this time.

It "may" be that the various protective services provided by McAfee are what is actually slowing down your Internet Explorer.
I'm not saying that this is "for sure" your problem, but it is definitely a possibility that McAfee is a resource hog on your machine.

I would consider downloading a different AntiVirus and Firewall solution. (possibly the free AVAST or Avira plus Comodo or ZoneAlarm)
I would then disconnect from the internet and uninstall McAfee and install the different Antivirus and Firewall.
I'd give that a try for a few days to see if browsing the Internet with the different utilities installed, improved your experience.

You can always reinstall your McAfee product that you've already paid for, if you find no improvement and you prefer to use McAfee.

Just a possibility.
Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#10 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,641 posts
  • MVP

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

Just to get up to speed... How much RAM? What is your graphics solution? How do you connect to your network/Internet? When did the problem start? Changing browsers does not fix the underlying problem.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 bughater

bughater

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

I have a lifetime subscription for my SuperAntiSpyware. My McAfee Security Suite comes with Comcast. I have heard many in these forums that McAfee is a resource hog. But I haven't had any real issues with malware, viruses, spyware, etc. And I surf hard on the net. I have no fear of surfing. I just hate IE7 being so slow. Obviously, I felt I was infected. It appears not. Why is Opera and Firefox so swift and not IE7. I been having this problem with IE since last Spring. It only became a problem when visitors cried how slow my computer is. And having looked into the problem in other forums. I found out I'm not the only person who has a slow IE7. I bought 2GB of memory two months ago. I am running at about 40% physical memory give or take right now. My internet connection is: network 2; local and internet. I had questions regarding my connection setup in "internet options>connection" but didn't know how to ask without confusing anyone. I have no idea what graphics solution is. I hope that can get us started with some solutions perhaps.

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,779 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

Please try starting IE7 with no Addons, see how it behaves. Go to Start / Accessories / System Tools, there should be a shortcut there called Internet Explorer (No Addons) Try it, post back with results.

Edited by Ztruker, 23 January 2009 - 07:09 PM.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#13 bughater

bughater

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

Its still slow. For some reason it waits for the http to load. And it takes a long time. Sometime it'll exhaust the server time limit and not load at all. One guy told me to uninstall IE and re-install. Problem is it comes with Windows. How do you uninstall. As a matter of fact I thought resetting IE (Internet Options>Advance>Reset) will do the trick. I did the IE without Add-ons and the result was the same, except I am constantly harassed by the no-addon popups. As long as your patience holds up I will do as you say.

#14 bughater

bughater

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:39 AM

I have the TuneUp Utilities 2009 on my computer. Had it for some time now. I just confirmed with a Comcast Rep a moment ago how my computer is connected to the internet. This TuneUp 2009 gives options to choose from: DSL, fiber optic, cable modem and how many Mbits I have: 2, 6, 16, 25, etc. I knew I have 16Mbps, but I also had option (fiber optics) ticked aswell. I was wrong. I should've had cable modem ticked off. Anyhow, I made the changes a moment ago and though its still premature, my IE is loading pages fast as.... After work today, I will surf the net as usual and see if perhaps I found the issue to my problem.

#15 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,641 posts
  • MVP

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

I personally don't put much faith in programs that promise to do things like "extend the life of your Windows PC without having to perform tiresome maintenance", or to "optimize" settings - especially programs that run in the background, consuming (wasting?) resources. Generally, Windows is pretty good at setting up network connections for you, as long as it has good device drivers to work with. You might want to remove TuneUp and setup your connection again anew and make sure it works okay that way. Then, if you find you miss TuneUp's other features, reinstall selecting only the options you need.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────