This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

System Restore Fails

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

For a fresh start I wanted to restore my computer. Backed up all my files. popped in the restore disc and restarted my laptop. Everything goes normal for a bit. Boot screen shows up with restore options and then bam the computer shuts down. So I'm like ok maybe the power cord came out and my battery died. So I check the power cord and restart again. Same things happens. Thinking it's maybe the disc, I use a different copy of windows. Still the same thing over and over. I'm a little lost. Windows XP Home edition SP3 is what is on my computer right now. I trying to fresh format and install XP HE SP1. My laptop is a Compaq Presario R3000Z Jeremy
Hello,
Does the machine shut down right away (even if there is no disc in the optical drive)?
When a computer shuts down right away it may be a heat issue.
your computer may be experiencing some overheating due to dust buildup. Can you open the side of the case and inspect the fan(s), air intake vents (front, back and sometimes side) and the processor's heatsink?

A few pictures of heatsinks in the following links.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=heatsink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_sink

The heatsink fins will often become compacted with dust, and the fan blades will aquire buildup as well, all of which prevents good air flow and resulting cooling of the processor. The power supply (where the power cord plugs into the back of the computer) also has a fan and air flow vents, both of which can become clogged with dust. Overheating of either or both the power supply and processor can cause the computer to shutdown as you've described.

The best way to remove the dust buildup is with compressed air, which is available in cans from most any general merchandise store, office supply store and electronics store if you don't have access to an air compressor. When using compressed air to clean, don't allow the air flow to spin the fan blades. Hold the ones you can and use a toothpick or similar to hold the ones you can't get to, like the power supply fan (back of the machine).

Do NOT use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust. It can create static electricity which might arc to your computer's components thereby damaging it.
Are you sure that the CD/DVD is set as the first boot device? Also, did the disc you are using come with THIS computer? You mention two disc so I need to know where they came from so I can find a solution. Does your computer have a D drive (this would be the recovery partition)? If so press F 10, or F 11 at start up to start system recovery.
CD/DVD is set as the first boot device. I've got the original disc that come with the computer, and at one point I though I lost it so I ordered a another copy, and they messed up and sent it out twice and told me to keep them both, so I've got three copies. No drive recovery partition. I'm gonna try taking it apart tonight and give it a good cleaning. Just maybe it's heat problem. Don't know why it would only shut down during restore, but who knows. I'll post back Jeremy
Ok took it apart and sure enough it was VERY dusty. I just don't get why it would only crash on dos and now while windows was running. Thanks Jeremy

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI