This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP Home Setup Freezes

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently came down a bad virut/virtob on my laptop. Jpshortstuff was a great help in locating what the problem was. After trying to fix the problem, he advised me to reformat and reinstall Microsoft Windows XP. All this can be found in this old thread: [Resolved] Clickover.cn Google Redirect, No access to Microsoft.c.

My laptop, for what it's worth, is a Gateway 7330GZ with a Pentium 4 CPU, 3.06GHz, and 480 MB of RAM. It's running on Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3. When I first got the computer (August 2005), I went through the easy process of burning Windows recovery CD's. Since I was never given a Windows XP CD, I figured that when I reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP, I should use those recovery CD's. I inserted the first CD and restared the computer, went through the processes, and did a full system restore with the 5 recovery CD's. It seemed like everything was going fine until it came to Installing Drivers. The screen says:

"Installing Devices
Setup is detecting and installing devices on your computer.

Please wait while setup detects and installs devices such as your keyboard and mouse. This will take several minutes. During this time, your screen may flicker for a few seconds."

The progress bar gets about half way before it freezes. The mouse is on the screen but I am unable to move it. After long periods of waiting, there is still no movement. It appears as though the computer is frozen. I've restarted the laptop a few times and I still cannot get any further. If there is anything, and I mean anything, I can/should do, please let me know. Thanks again!

P.S. - I'm writing this post on my mother's laptop and can burn a DVD or CD if necessary to fix my laptop's problem.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI