I had an aggravating graphic problem that I tried to fix with System Restore…
That had worked in the past…
This time it went all the way back to basic install….
I went back & restored it to a week or so ago & it went there OK…
Now , the graphic problem is worse (Freezes) , my anti-virus is off , it can not be turned back on & I have to uninstall it & re-install it & System Restore is OFF & I can not restore my computer to ANY date…
My computer IS malware free , NO trojans, viruses etc…
Any help to get my System Restore turned back on WILL be GREATLY appreciated…..
THANKS…..
EDIT:
I should know better…
I have a Dell GX280 computer with Windows XP Pro SP3…
Sorry about that !!!…
Ztruker;…..
How you doing , old friend !!!!!.. …
GOOD to see that you're still alive & kicking… ..
THANKS for the speedy reply… …
I tried both Adminstrator & with my name in Safe Boot & no go…
I also tried our famous Erunt & no go there either..
I have to go offline for the day…
I'll be back online tomorrow AM…
Have a GREAT evening & THANKS…
Later…Ron.M….
Have you run any anti-virus scans? Sounds suspiciously like you have some kind of malware. Might be a good idea to have our malware folks take a look.
Go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.
I have ran Spyot & MBAM (Both fully updated… NO viruses , trojans , etc found…. I'm not fond of going to the Malware Forum , but I will go there to accomodate you…
Ztruker;… When I go to the Malware Forum , OTL downloaded perfectly… However when I tried to download Hijack This , I got;=>… ""The page you are looking for cannot be found."" New format glitches ???
I just sent Mr Tate a message about that & a couple of other issues I have….
Also , today I discovered MBAM was also corrupted…
I got rid of it & downloaded a fresh new file …
After I post this , I intend to run a full scan in safe mode…
BTW:
My SpyBot file is intact & NOT corrupted…
Just Avast & MBAM were somehow corrupted..
Well , got some more news for you….
I ran SpyBot & a new fully updated MBAM in safe mode…
NO viruses , trojans or malware of any kind…
I also uninstalled IE 7 browser & reinstalled it without ANY updates…
It was somehow corrupted & lo & behold , my graghic problem greatly improved…
NOT cured , mind you , but MUCH better..
Methinks IE7 had TOO many updates & caused some problems..
Now as far as HiJack This goes;…
Some progress far as the "link" function goes..
After clicking on the red "HiJack This" link . you get this page;=>… http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?app=downloads
If you scroll down to LDTate under "Top Authors" , you'll see a "HiJack This" by LDTate"..
When you click on that . you get this page;=>… http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=36
Clicking on Download , you get this page;=>… http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?app=downloads&module=display§ion=download&do=confirm_download&id=36
You MUST agree to terms BEFORE you can download the file..
After you agree to terms , you get this on the same page;=>…
""Your files are available below.""
When you click on Download , you get this:=>…
""The page you are looking for cannot be found.""
& this;=>…
""Loading…"""….
After waiting FOUR FULL minutes , I gave up…
Now I'm a patient man…
Mr LDTate & I have gone round & round in the past…
I WAS POLITE to him when I sent him a message…
Some progress WAS made , but , you should check you work to see IF what you set out to do WAS accomplished..
BTW:…
NONE of this is directed at you in ANY way…
I'm just informing you what has happened since I was last here..
That's about it for now…
I'm NOT going to contact LDTate again…
Someone else (MAYBE you) can do it…
1st off , the "HiJack This' link has been fixed & works fine…
Downloaded it this morning…
THANK you…
All the while I was posting here , I had the bad Avast file loaded…
Reason is , I was talkng to Avast on how to turn it back on…
They finally said to uninstall it & re-install it…
So , yesterday I got rid of it & re-installed it without any updates…
My computer graphic problem is nearly gone…
When I used System Restore before , I went back to Oct , 22..
That's when the green hilly landscape wallpaper that you get after you initially install Windows XP appeared with very few of my desktop icons..
This morning I , re- restored my computer to see if it would do the same thing…
It did…
I restored it to Oct,24th..
It did with the same landscape…
I went back & restored to Oct , 28th…
It DID & WITH ALL my icons….
I went back to System Restore & all the restore dates PRIOR to Oct , 28th have DISAPPEARED !!!
All those after Oct , 28th are still there…
So , I now have my computer nearly what it was before all this started…
My Systen Restore magically fixed itself….
I have 2 things to do to see if I can narrow down what caused this aggravating problem….
I suspect that Avast may be the root cause of this…
I am going to fully update it & run it for awhile & see if the problem returns…
Then if all is well , I will fully update IE7 & run it…
So , it appears that the problem is not malware , but possibly a corrupted file (Avast!)…
I will keep you posted down the road with results..
Hi Ron, glad most things are now working with Rich's help and of course LDT's
I have found that the way to get the emoticons to work when sending a reply is to click the icon on the extreme top left corner of the "reply box" and then it switches them on….( Have no idea why! but I think its something to do with the rich text editor)…nothing to do with our Rich of course…
This is what should have been in the above post !!!
paws;….
Good to hear from you again…. How are you doing ??? THANKS….
This website is NOT working as it should…. I'm having problems with "Preview POst" emptying out my reply box !!! I click on "View Auto Saved Content (X minutes ago) & the saved post does NOT come back..
Also , when I Preview Post , the emoticons are not there… Just the wording for them…
I'm making some progress with my computer albeit a slow process… If I can not totally solve it , I WILL come back & go to the "Malware Forum" as Ztruker suggested…
Have a GRREAT day & week…
PS:… Methinks this website was built by the SAME folks that built the ObamaCare website !!!! Later…Ron.M…
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI