This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 7 won't boot or reinstall

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Some "not so bright person" decided they would fix my laptop after a bad virus had it in a System Recovery loop, and hit some recovery option to reinstall windows. Well guess what? It didn't work. It starts windows then says "Preparing Computer for First Use". Then it goes to starting windows. Then I get an error "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation." I can't boot from the disc - it goes back to the above. I can't get in safe mode or command prompt - it goes back to the above. I don't have any discs that came with the computer, as it had none. I have a recovery disc, but like I said, it won't boot from the disc. I backed up my files with Puppy. Help!!!! Info - HP laptop, 1 year old, running Windows 7 64 bit.
What model is the HP? Most newer computers have a Fn key (F11 or F12 usually) that will brong up a Boot selection menu. From there you can select your CD/DVD drive to boot from to reinstall the OS. There is also quite likely a Recovery Partition on the hard drive that you can restore to factory state from. The Users Guide should tell you this info.

I can't boot from the disc - it goes back to the above.

I don't have any discs that came with the computer, as it had none.

I have a recovery disc, but like I said, it won't boot from the disc.

Hi -

Is the recovery disc one that you burned using the HP recovery manager software? It appears that the recovery disc you have is INOP.

Entering "Pavilion dv4" at HP Support site returns ~300 hits. Look at the label on the bottom of the laptop for exact model number.

I would try to reinstall Windows 7 using the HDD Recovery partition. Try pressing ESC or F10 during bootup. Choose the option to restore the system to factory default settings.

If HDD Recovery partition is no-go, you can order replacement recovery media from HP; usual cost ~ $25 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen…e=bph07143#N914

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI