This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

XP Pro wont load

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, My Elonex laptop which is about 4 years old has suddenly decided it won't boot up. It gets to the black XP screen with the 'running bar' moving and that's as far as it will go. Will not boot into safe mode. I have used the rescue disc that came with it, which has got it working again, but it's like a clean install - I don't have Office and my other programs. I didn't have the choice of recovery when I used it. When I switch it on I have a choice of 2 WinXP OS to choose from before it will boot up - 1 will boot (the new one) the other will not (the original problem). I can access all the files I had on it originally, but cannot use them without reloading Office. :pullhair: As far as I know, nothing untoward happened on it's last use before the problem occurred. Any Ideas on how to restore it to its former glory? Thanks, Jeff.
The first thing you need to do is verify the file system is okay or fix it if not bu running chkdsk,

From the working XP boot, open My Computer.
Right click on drive: and select Properties (drive: is your boot drive)
Click on the Tools tab then the Check now button.
Check the "Automatically fix File System errors" box.

or click on Start then Run, type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

For C: you will get a window that says the check could not be performed ….
Do you want to schedule this disk check to run the next time you restart the computer?
Click on Yes.

Shutdown and reboot.
OK, CHKDSK came up with the following: Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, " ") from file record segment 58810 Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30) from file record segment 58833 Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, " ") from file record segment 58840 Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, " ") from file record segment 59620 Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, " ") from file record segment 58688 Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, " ") from file record segment 127652 Sorting index in $I30 in file 18126 Sorting index in $I30 in file21124 Sorting index in $I30 in file 24952 Correcting error in index $I30 for file 58833 Correcting error in index $I30 for file 58833 Recovered lots of orphaned files before I could write down what they were. Gets to log in screen, enter password Please wait… Then shuts down (powers off) Will still boot up on the other OS choice though. Cheers, Jeff.
You may want to run chkdsk once or twice more, until you get a clean run with no errors. I don't think that is going to solve your problem though. Something in that XP install has been corrupted, though it's strange that this is causing a power off, usually you get a blue screen error which at least gives you a clue as to what is happening.

I'm sorta stumped at the moment. I'll ask the other techs here to take a look and see if they have any ideas.

Edit: I just realized something. You said you recovery CD did a clean install, but if that were the case, your original install of XP would be gone so it sounds like it did a parallel install and if so it should be capable of doing a Repair (in place) Install.

What is the make and model of your computer?
Hi, Its an Elonex EAL51-15, which I believe is a Compal generic that comes out of China and get branded afterwards. It was my wife's work laptop which has since been replaced and she kept it for home use. I thought I was doing the repair, but I never had the option to choose it, the disk went straight into install, but you're right - it does seem to have done a paralell install. I have already run checkdisk for the 2nd time and it came through with no errors but then kept powering down whichever OS I chose. I left it for a while and went back to it and its OK now. That made me consider that it's not software related at all, but on consideration, I think it was just coincidence, as the original problem occurred at exactly the same moment each time I attempted booting. I'll just try re-booting on the original again.
No, not booting at all now. Comes up with choose OS, starts counting down from 30 Seconds - gets to 25 then off it goes!
Hello,
It is unusual for a recovery disc to make a parallel installation.
Since the computer shuts off before you choose an operating system no drivers will be loading.
This indicates that it is a hardware issue.
I would like for you to use memtest to check your memory.
If the memory is good we can check other areas to pin point the problem area.
Click this for a guide to using Memtest



Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible
Booted from cd, but then only stays on for about 5 seconds (checks 1%) then powers off. It couldn't be something daft, like being too hot could it? It seems to stay on OK when it's been off for a while. Although that does not apply for trying to boot to the original OS. I'm suspecting that there is more than one problem here! And how valuable IS a 4 year old laptop? lol Jeff PS I just rebooted to Windows and it has loaded OK, so I think now the scenario is: a)Won't boot to original OS B) Won't boot to Memtest ISO CD c) Will boot to parallel OS
Your situation has become curiouser and curiouser.

What File Path is indicated for your new XP install? (for instance, is it D:\Windows ?)
To boot to the recommended Memtest ISO CD you may have to adjust your Boot sequence in BIOS to read from the Optical Drive before reading from the Hard Drive.

Yes, heat can always be an issue with any machine and especially with a Laptop, but the machines ability to Boot successfully into the parallel Windows installation would suffer the same difficulty if it were a heat related shut-down.

Any chance that you can now Boot to SAFE Mode in the original XP install?
If you can, then do the following:

Turn off the Windows Automatic Restart function, so we can see which error your system is encountering:

  • Go to Start, right-click - My Computer, then Select - Properties
  • Click the Advanced (tab)
  • In the Startup and Recovery section, click - Settings
  • In the System failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart"
  • Click OK twice
Now, your system will not automatically restart when the error occurs. This does not mean the issue is resolved, it just means you will be able to see the Error Name when it is encountered.

When your machine next encounters the problem, you will see the Windows Stop Error screen, also known as the "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD). Encountering this screen means that Windows can no longer continue operating normally and needs to be restarted. What is important is that, although daunting, this screen will tell you the Error Name and Number that made your computer unhappy. Please write down this Error Name and Number (using paper and pencil) the next time you receive it and post it back here into this same thread when you reply.


There are several Windows corruption events, such as missing or corrupt hal.dll, ntdrl, master boot record, corrupted windows.ini, etc., that can possibly be corrected with other than a repair installation.
If you can get the error message to us, we may spot a clue as to what is stopping the Boot sequence.

Presumably you do not have access to your previously installed Office and other Applications from the new parallel XP install?
_______________-

What's a four year old Laptop worth?
Well, that's really for you to decide.
My laptop is a 6+ year old Dell 8200 and it serves me quite well.
Saved Data, media and Documents, and a familiar configuration is sometimes more important than a new machine with all the new bells and whistles.

Please give us an update on the machine's current functioning and on your intentions.

Best Regards
Hi, No, I cannot boot into safe mode on the original OS. However, the parallel install I do have access to. Using windows explorer I have discovered that there is a 'Windows' file installed in 2005(2.64Gb 20000+ files) which I assume is when the laptop was new, and a file called 'Windows.0' (1.95Gb 13,165 files) which I'm guessing is the parallel install. I have access to important files to pull them off for safety, and my intention is to keep the laptop. If I cannot get it to work properly I'll probably try installing Linux to play around with. But ideally I'd like to have it functioning under XP. There was no problem booting to the cd drive, in fact it began to run the software. It just would not stay on for more than 54 seconds before powering off - not restarting, powering off. It still operates normally under the parallel OS, but I need to reinstall the MS Office program to use the documents properly, which I do not have access to anymore. Thanks for your help so far. Bezz.
Hi HFCG and thanks for being part of this trouble-shooting. Looks to me that the Memtest86 ISO CD is what is shutting down after 54 seconds. Otherwise Bezz is apparently able to Boot to the Parallel install of Windows and use it successfully for longer periods of time.
Hi, Doug is correct. To clarify: Booting to original OS gets to 'User password' I enter that and then it powers off. Same in Safe Mode Booting to parallel OS laptop operates pretty much as normal - I just need to reinstall the programs to make them work. Booting to CD Memtest results in power off in 54 seconds (at best) I have run AVG (no problems detected) and I have a HJT log available too if that is of any use. The laptop has been on and in use for around 30 minutes. Sound doesn't work. I don't mind workarounds like Star Office - I just like things working like they should! lol. I have been using a different text editor (Ashampoo), but there always seems some sort of compatibility issues when the kids take things to school etc, and it's not the thing they use at school (curse you Bill Gates, lol). So Ideally I would like to keep things as straightforward as possible. This is how we've been working since January but it is a PITA! Thanks, Bezz
Bezz, are there one or two sticks of memory in the laptop? If two, remove one and see if that makes any difference as far as powering off goes. If not, swap memory and try again. Memory should be easily accessible via a removable cover on the bottom of the laptop, usually held in place with one screw.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI