This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] BSOD due to virus (0x000008e)

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all, I was recently infected with something that's wrecked havoc with my computer. My first inkling of something wrong was windows telling me that it suffered a critical error and needed to restart. Windows also said A service I don't remember the name of was prevented from doing something by data execution prevention. I restarted normally. When I try to boot into windows (vista 32 bit home premium), I get as far as the windows logo and progress bar. I see my mouse of a fraction of a second, and then the screen goes black. Typically the loggon screen comes up, but it does not here. I've waited until hard drive activity stopped, but no loggon screen appears. I then tried to boot into safe mode. If I boot into safe mode or safe mode with networking, it takes about 30 seconds after I log on to blue screen with error 0x000008e. Safe mode with command prompt does not blue screen. From there, I looked at my startup programs and found lrijh8s73jhbfgfd masquerading as winloggn.exe, tezrtsjhfr84iusjfo84f as csrssc.exe, and project1 as svhost.exe. All were in my temp directory. Their presence is why I think I have a virus problem and not a hardware issue. I tried disabling those things and running explorer, but I bluescreen 30 seconds after explorer starts. There is no hijackthis log because I hadn't had a malware problem on this computer before, and didn't think I needed it. Also, I had no firewall or antivirus installed because I thought I wasn't engaging in any "risky" behaviors and I didn't want active protection to degrade my computer's performance. two notes about my computer: it is a laptop without a floppy drive, and I've soft-modded the graphics card. The softmod has been stable since I've done it, so at least it is not the primary cause of my problems. I will post a hijackthis log if anyone can tell me how to obtain one through the commandline. Much thanks, Kevin
Will Taskmanager run if you use Alt/Ctrl/DEL keys at same time? Open taskmanager > at the top left, click File> New Task> copy paste this in or type it in: c:\windows\system32\restore double click on: rstrui.exe run it Restart PC and see if you can find a date the computer worked.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI