This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Really bad virus

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm hoping someone can help me. I can't get onto my computer. It keeps restarting after I see the blue load up bar. Tried to start in safemode and got the same results. tried to start windows with last known good configured… got the same results after chosing any of them (they all end in the same result) it loads up. Goes to the "win XP" loading where it shows the blue bar. Then a blue screen flashes (you blink; you miss) and restarts. And repeats. And repeats… So I disabled automatic restart on system failure and was able to see the blue screen which said, a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage… Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuratin, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer. Technical information: *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xBACEB3DC, 0xBACEB0D8, 0x8A89B805). I don't know what to do from here. The problem started when I was searching the web for poems about wating on God, I click on a web page and a box popped up saying that my computer was infected. So I immediately tried to do a full system scan using SUPERAntiSpyware. Some things showed up, but the scan would not complete, the computer would just restart. So right now the blue screen is still up. I have windows xp version 5.1 and I don't have a windows cd. I ran a Dr. web scan before I found this site and deleted some bad files. one file, i386/apps/app30975/firstopt.js could not be cured. I was not sure if it was safe to delete it so I just exited the Dr. Web and restarted computer, and there has been no change. Computer keeps restarting. I am unable to do anything else since windows won't load. Please help me, thank you, Niki
Hi,

If you have access to another computer - please do the following:



We will need to make a BOOT CD

Print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing.

Two programs to download

First

Please downloadISOBurner and save it to your desktop. This program will allow you to burn OTLPE.ISO to make a bootable CD.
  • Double click the ISOBurner set up icon to install the program, from there on in it is fairly automatic.
  • There are Instructions for the iso burner here if you need them.

Second

  • Download OTLPE.iso save it to your desktop. Now burn OTLPE.iso to a CD using ISO Burner. {NOTE: This file is 292Mb in size so it may take some time to download.)
  • When downloaded double click OTLPE.iso > this will then open ISOBurner to burn the file to CD

  • Reboot the infected system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • you will find an icon on the desktop called OTLPE > Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to SafeList
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.
Hi, thanks for responding. When I booted from the cd I saw the screen that says starting reatogo-x-pe, after the bar finished loading, the windows screen briefly shows and then the blue screen comes back.
Hi,

There seems to be a problem with your partition, it may be corrupt, so the boot CD isn't able to read it either.

we can check for corruption by running chkdsk in the Recovery Console


First, if you don't have a Windows XP Home, Pro or MCE installation CD, you will need to make a different Boot CD - this one will be for the Recovery Console.

Download the following and create a bootable CD from the .iso file: XP Recovery Console

Follow the previous instructions for making a CD withe the iso burning software.

You can delete the RC.ISO file once you've burned it to CD or DVD.

Steps to perform on the problem machine:
  • Place your Windows XP Installation CD or the new Recovery Console disk you just created into your CD or DVD ROM drive, and reboot.
    You should see this:
    [external image: Posted Image]
    If you don't see the above, try pressing the F10 or F12 keys during boot and selecting the CDRom device from the list.
    If that doesn't work, enter BIOS Setup by pressing the F1, F2, F10 or Del key during boot and modifying the
    Boot Order or Boot Priority to make the CD/DVD first boot device.
  • Press any key to start Windows Setup (Don't worry.. we're not actually using setup at this point)
  • Wait a while for setup to start, until you see the following screen, then press the R key.
    [external image: Posted Image]
  • Wait until you see this screen, and enter the number of your main installation. (Typically 1 for C:\Windows)
    [external image: Posted Image]
  • Press Enter.
  • If prompted to do so, enter your Administrator password. If you don't have one, leave it blank and press enter.
  • From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk /r (note the space between chkdsk and /r)
    Allow it to complete undisturbed.

    If it is able to repair the corrupted sections then windows should load.
  • Remove the CD/DVD then reboot. Windows should now begin loading.
For more information on the Recovery Console, read this Microsoft article: How to install and use the Recovery Console

(thanks to Billy O'Neal for the instructions)
Thank you for your help. Burned the cd. Booted from cd and it said setup is loading files, the files load then it say starting windows and then back to blue screen.
Did you see the screens as depicted in the instructions above? If you didn't then unfortunately, it would seem as though your hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. How far did it get? Were you able to choose the recovery console at all? or did it crash prior to the recovery console loading?
I did not see any of those screens. I have been able to go into system recovery and run the basic diagnostics test, which passed. Then I tested the hard drive and it said no failed devices. Then I did the CPU and memory test and it passed. I will repeat the steps to run chkdsk and post back. Thanks for your help
ok, tried repeat the steps in the previous post for RC.iso. I saw the press any key to boot from cd, then it goes to windows setup screen, then it says setup is starting windows and the it goes back to the blue screen stop: 0x0000007B. This is a different code from before
Hi,

That's not good news I'm afraid.

Boot issues are very difficult to diagnose
Your partition may be corrupted

there is some information here on some of the various causes for that stop error you are seeing:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

I suggest you start a new topic in out hardware forum:

Our expert tech's may have some other suggestions for you:

start a new topic HERE - link back to this topic so they can see what you have tried already:
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI