This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can only boot up in safe mode

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Running Windows Vista. Had issues with a virus that is now gone but I cannot get the laptop to boot up. I can boot in Safe Mode though. When I boot, it shows the screen to click the user then *BOOM* blue screen reading: STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0x8326CCC, 0x8DCBB91C, 0x00000000). Any help?
Hi dhoots, welcome to WhatTheTech.

It's likely something was deleted during the virus cleanup, so open an Elevated Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. That will scan your computer for missing or corrupted system files and replace them.

To launch an elevated command prompt, press the Win key, type cmd, press Ctrl+Shift+Enter; and then hit Alt+C to confirm the elevation prompt.

Also, look in Event Viewer, see if there is anything there that gives a clue to what is happening:

Also, collect any mini kernel dumps in c:\windows\minidump, all files. You may have to copy them to another folder prior to zipping them. Once in a zip file, upload them to a free file sharing web site like MediaFire or 4Shared or any of the other free sites. Once uploaded, post a link to the zip file here.
Looks like sfc only had a problem with one file, settings.ini which I suspect doesn't matter.

What about event viewer, anything in there that gives more information?

Also, from the Advanced Boot Options menu, have you tried Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)

Also try Repair your computer:

Shows a list of system recovery tools you can use to repair startup problems, run diagnostics, or restore your system. This option is available only if the tools are installed on your computer's hard disk. If you have a Windows installation disc, the system recovery tools are located on the installation disc. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions.

If I do a Last Known Good Configuration, it goes as far as starting windows then goes to the blue screen and before I can even read it, it auto reboots. If I do a Repair Computer, it goes to a logon screen with a box containing no icon labeled OTHER USER. If I click that, it asks for a username and password. I have tried Administrator, and my user logon. Both give me the message: Specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. If I try a regular boot, the blue screen message is different now. It reads: STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x83233CC7, 0xAA23C91C 0x00000000).
The next thing to do is a Repair Install, see here: How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista

Even though this should leave your data intact as well as most programs, it will put you back to whatever service pack level the install DVD is at so you will have to install SP1 or SP2 then all updates plus Anti-virus and probably some other software. It would be a good idea to have all your data backed up anyway, just in case something goes wrong with the Repair Install.

If you don't have a Vista install DVD and can't borrow one then you will have to use the built in Recovery Partition which means you wipe out everything so backing up your data is critical. It will also require you to install SP1 and SP2 and all updates then cleanup the crapware that is bundled with the computer and install all your software again. Not a pleasant thing to do but sometimes it's the only solution.
java script:add_smilie(":wall:","smid_26") Well…I wanted to make sure I had tried everything I could. Thank you SO VERY MUCH for your time and help!! I sincerely appreciate it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI