On an old computer running windows 2000 SP3 received the following message on a blue screen with white printing yesterday:
****STOP: 0x0000000A (0xCOB14000, 0x000000002, 0x00000000. 0x8044112C) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The number of 0s may not be accurate, but you'll get the idea. Can someone tell me what this is likely to relate to. Is it an operating system problem or motherboard problem or something else I could fix…..?
Further details about this PC - AMD Duron processor ™ 900MHZ with 128Mb ram. NVidia display card. 40Mb HDD. As you can see - it is an old PC but is useful for a learner! Before I spend any money on it, would like to know what the above message may be as some other strange things have happened from time to time.
Hoping you can give me some ideas
Hello,
This type of error messege is usually a corrupt memory modual.
With only 128 MB of RAM it could be that there is just not enough memory to run what you are trying to run.
I do not know if you will find any RAM for your system (is it pc-100?) with out some real searching. May have to get some used RAM from a pc salvage shop.
Try taking the RAM out and putting it back in again. look for a large dust build up, and use a can of compressed gas to blow it out if there is a dust build up before putting the RAM back in. Do not try to clean the pins on the RAM with anything other then canned gas (air).
Have a good look around, there is so much to read and learn. If you are hesitant like me at opening your tower, here is a link that will assist you to carry out HFCG's good advice.
Hi, the BSoD error you are receiving, in my experience is usually hardware/driver related. Most likely a driver issue.
First of all, it would be very good advice to follow the previously mentioned procedure of removing the RAM and reseating it. Often times what happens on these older PCs is that the RAM modules get loose connections from heating up and cooling down all the time. The usual procedure I follow on all PCs I service, before anything else is to test that the memory is solid. (Memory errors will cause unforseen and devastating consequences.) The way I do it is to keep a CD handy called the Windows Memory Diagnostic and boot the computer from it. While the diagnositc is running I take the plastic handle of a screwdriver and tap the RAM modules so that they move slightly side to side. I also tap other components in the computer such as add-on cards, and the motherboard. (NEVER the hard drive) Any video anomalies, memory errors, or freeze ups will signal a loose connection. Remove and reseat the RAM (sometimes requiring contact cleaner to really get a clean connection) until you can perform the test without any problems.
While you are in the case look for leaking capacitors on the motherboard around the CPU. This is another very common problem on older PCs. See the following link for pictures of bad capacitors. In my experience the capacitors usually fail by leaking out the top rahter than the bottom as seen in the photos. (You'll see a hard orange crust)
If you find out it isn't the RAM, I would certainly suggest tracking down and installing (or reinstalling) the latest hardware drivers for your hardware.
Most likely, by following the above two suggestions you will eliminate your problem.
As a clue, the BSoD error you receive will often times provide extra information (a filename) about the actual driver that caused the problem. This can help pinpoint where the hardware/driver problem lies.
Thank you. I will try your suggestions soonest opportunity. Seems a bit technical! Before I fiddle too much I'll see if I can get another stick of memory from local computer shop. Thanks for your help - much appreciated
Instead of fiddling, run the Windows Memory Diagnostic that appleoddity suggested in his post. If that fails them RAM is definitely bad. Let it run for at least 3 passes, overnight is even better.
Has taken me a while to get back to computer. Sorry. But today I ran the memory diagnostic test. I let it run for about 7 passes and there are 'failed' items showing up. Names like INVC, WMATS+, LRAND, STRIDE6. These were reported in centre of the screen, where the test indicates the Pass etc. I also noticed that in the Cache column all were ON.
Does this indicate my memory stick is a baddy? There is only one stick in there - a 128 MB. I am hoping it relates to memory stick and not to motherboard problems. What do you think?
When I hear back from you letting me know its the stick and not the board, I'll trot into local computer shop and see if I can get hold of a couple more sticks.
Thanks again
Hi.. I'm glad you found the source of your problem. Yes, this indicates a problem with the RAM.. However, as stated previously, it might only be a matter of removing and reseating the RAM a couple times to clear up the problem. (This is more likely than having RAM that has failed). However, 128Mb of RAM is so low that even Win 2000 won't run well. So, you might want to see what the board will take and upgrade it. However, older RAM, means more expense. Even after purchasing new memory you may have "bad connection" problems as stated in my previous post. It is imperative that you run the windows memory diagnostic again with the new memory and test for bad connections. Older connections mean more oxidation, and a tougher time getting a solid connection. That is what contact cleaner is for.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI