This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

blue screen

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a new system and I'm getting a radom blue screen with a 0x0000000a error code can anyone tell me what this points to? also can anyone tell me where I can get a book or some where on the internet information that tells me what these codes mean. Thanks
I build it. Here what its got in. amd 6000 x2. 2gb skill memory, 320gb sata, Asus m2n32 sli deluxe, dvd burner. I get the error right after fresh install of xp home with service pak 2
So did it ever work? Did you verify you ONLY used standoff where corresponding motherboard mounting holes existed? Did you use TIM? What PSU? What video card?
yes to 1st question. I don't know what TIM stands for. power supply is a roswell rx950 watt. The video card is a ATI rx800xl 256mb. Yes it ran fine for about a month.

yes artic sliver

Okay, that's no longer the best but still much better than thermal pads, which in themselves are far superior to nothing.

With new build problems, I worry about extra standoffs getting screwed in. Cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards, of various sizes. The ATX Form Factor standard only stipulates where motherboard mounting holes (in the case and in the motherboards) "can" be, not where they "will" be. Meaning, there are always more mounting holes in the case then there are in your motherboard. If a standoff is used in the case where no corresponding motherboard mounting hole exists, several circuits running on the bottom of the motherboard may be shorted to ground.

This PC being a month old would suggest you don't have any out of place. But then again, most motherboard makers apply a protective, non-conductive coating to motherboards. After a month of fan and drive motor vibrations, the coating may be getting thin.

Those error messages come with a text messages that help define the problem. For example, with a Stop0a code, it might say, "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", which might point to driver problems. So what is the exact error message (you don't need to post all the 0x000… stuff)?

You should also look in Event Viewer for events that are written in the seconds before the BSOD.

Did you look in Device Manager for errors (yellow and red)?

What are your temperatures?

Does it BSOD in Safe Mode?

If me, and I knew the system was free of malware, and the error messages were not helpful (like that ever happens - ;)) - I would disconnect all unnecessary devices and try again. That includes optical drives, extra hard drives, and especially USB devices, then see what happens. I would even remove all but one stick of RAM.

You can also test your RAM using one of the following programs. Both require you to create and boot to a bootable floppy disk or CD to run the diagnostics. Using the floppy method is generally easier and yet another reason I still include floppy drives in all my new PC builds. However, the CD method is just as effective at detecting RAM problems. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.

Windows Memory Diagnostic - see the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information.
or
MemTest86+ (for more advanced users) - an excellent how-to guide is available here.


If still a problem, I would consider swapping out power supplies, just to rule that out as the problem.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI