Software
Question about Java
3 min read
MMctagg
Topic Starter
I have a very small old computer, and I'm trying to clean as much off it as possible.
In my 'Add/Remove Programs' list, I have 5 Java entries:
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.42_10 109.00MB
Java™ 6 Update 2 111.00MB
Java™ 6 Update 3 111.00MB
Java™ 6 Update 5 114.00MB
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1 134.00MB
Are some of these duplicates? Can I get rid of some/all of them?
Thanks!
Amanda
jpshortstuff
When you install a newer version of Java, or update an existing one, the old version get left behind (as you can see here). It is highly recommended that you remove older versions of Java as they may have exploitable security vulnerabilities that could lead to infection.
We are currently at Java 6 Update 10, so I would recommend that you download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 10, remove all of your current versions of Java and then install the latest.
Hope that helps.
We are currently at Java 6 Update 10, so I would recommend that you download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 10, remove all of your current versions of Java and then install the latest.
Hope that helps.
Abydos
Hey
An option to consider. I use this program personnally, and haven't experienced any
problems yet.
JavaRa
It can update and remove your old Java installations. Instead of removing every single appearence
of old Java one by one.
Regards Abydos
An option to consider. I use this program personnally, and haven't experienced any
problems yet.
JavaRa
It can update and remove your old Java installations. Instead of removing every single appearence
of old Java one by one.
Regards Abydos
jpshortstuff
JavaRa is indeed a good tool for removing old Java installations, however I do not believe it removes Update 7 yet.
However, from what I have read Sun have made it so that from Update 10 onwards, installing future updates will not require the removal of older versions, and therefore from 10 onwards you (theoretically) won't need to do this.
Abydos
installing future updates will not require the removal of older versions, and therefore from 10 onwards you (theoretically) won't need to do this.
Sounds great
Do you have a link to the article, so I can use it for further reference.
Or is it readily available from Sun's website?
Regards Abydos
jpshortstuff
Here's the information from Sun's website on their new "patch-in-place" system for Update 10 onwards:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technote…ml#patchInPlace
Hope that helps.
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technote…ml#patchInPlace
Hope that helps.
Abydos
Here's the information from Sun's website on their new "patch-in-place" system for Update 10 onwards:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technote…ml#patchInPlace
Hope that helps.
Great, many thanks for that
Regards Abydos
MMctagg
Thank you both very much - this should free up a lot of space on my machine!
Amanda
jpshortstuff
Java 6 Update 11 is out now, you can test the new "patch-in-place" system
Have seen people saying that it does work, so that is good news.
tallin
I used JavaRa to update my Java earlier today. It worked very well, uninstalled the old and installed the new without a problem.
I have seen reports that it does not work, but it does on all the computers that I look after.
I have seen reports that it does not work, but it does on all the computers that I look after.
jpshortstuff
As far as I was aware it hasn't been updated since the release of 6u10, so it may miss some entries when removing 6u7 onwards. However, once you have removed 6u7 it is no longer necessary to use this tool, as future updates are patched.
Be aware that I am not trying to discredit JavaRa or RaProducts, I myself have developed one of the RaProducts' utilities and work/have worked with both Paul McLain and Fred De Vries.
Doug
avaRa or RaProducts, I myself have developed one of the RaProducts' utilities and work/have worked with both Paul McLain and Fred De Vries.
Cool!
tallin
Since posting yesterday, I have updated Java on other computers four times so far with JavaRa.exe and again have no issues with it……
It sure does suit me fine, and thanks jpshortstuff for your contribution to it.
Oh, and it does take care of the old installations perfectly for my needs. I always check in Add and Remove and in all cases the only installation showing is the current one after updating.
best regards,
It sure does suit me fine, and thanks jpshortstuff for your contribution to it.
Oh, and it does take care of the old installations perfectly for my needs. I always check in Add and Remove and in all cases the only installation showing is the current one after updating.
best regards,
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI