This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problem?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey I have recently looked into my Add/Remove Programme list and I have noticed that I may have stuff to remove,

[external image: Posted Image]

I have two HJT and they are both the same and I also have two Java, but they are not the same, Should I remove one of them?

ALSO

In my Programme Files folder with all the Programmes there, I have a folder named "xerox", I am not sure to delete it, but there is nothing in it, so should I remove it?
For the HJT you do not need two of them so I would remove one. I am not sure about the JAVA since they are two different ones. The one being a devolpment kit and the other being a run time environment. I would however go to the java web site and get the latest update. Then delete what you dont need. Be patient on this though, someone that knows for sure will post in here the best thing for you to do with the java.
As for the folder "xerox", I would leave it. I do not think it is harming your computer in any way. It is most likely there incase you have a "xerox" machine added to the computer for copies or could be printer.
take a look here at the java website and see if this is what you really need. http://java.sun.com/javase/6/
This explains what the java6 is.
I have the java runtime 5 update 11 and it is good enough for me but I do not write programs.
this is where to get the 5/11 http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
Hi GaryOR-LFC,

Having two installations of HJT is "common", though I don't know why it so frequently occurs.
HJT is a "small" program, does not "run in the background" and poses "no risk" to your machine.
Remove one of them…. or not. It's your choice, and It's no biggie.

Having the JAVA SE (6) Development Kit is "unnecessary" for most of us, because most of us are not writing programs and developing JAVA scripts. The Development Kit is mostly for those who do.

The first link that dangedcoyote offers provides some interesting and some "fun" information and toys for JAVA. Learn and enjoy.

The second link is to the Version of JAVA that is most appropriate for older Windows 2000 and earlier WinME, Win98 installation.

It is recommended that you use JAVA SE (6) for your Windows XP operating system.
Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Download available, Here:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp (about half way down the page)
Always use Control Panel - Add/Remove to "uninstall" older and other copies of JAVA prior to installing the updated Version.

Digressive "Ribald Comment":
"What?!!! You're worried about having two copies of HJT on your machine, and NOT worried about having Bitlord 1.1 installed???!!!"

Peer-to-peer applications are totally up to User Preference and Choice, but pose a serious hazard of being a vector for malware during associated downloads.

Sorry about the Digression. :P

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI