This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Java problems with Windows XP

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a bunch of Java programs still installed (see screenshot) Only one of them is the current latest version, can I delete some or all of the others? I get Java errors sometimes, and the printer for USPS Java takes forever to load. 📎java.bmp.jpg

I have a bunch of Java programs still installed (see screenshot)
Only one of them is the current latest version, can I delete some or all of the others?
I get Java errors sometimes, and the printer for USPS Java takes forever to load.

Hi 'nyctreeman',

The answer is Yes, through Add and Remove uninstall all your Java applications. You need the latest, which is Java v1.6.0(build 1.6.0_03-b05)

After you remove each application, and before you install the latest, please reboot your machine.
It may also be prudent to also use CCleaner from here or Cleanup 4.5.2 from here
before you reboot and install the newest version.

Get the latest Java for your system at the following site:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Post back if you need more assistance.

kind regards,
Thank you so much, In the screen shot I provided, Update Number 3 (Java [TM] 6, is version number 1.6.0.30 Do I leave that one? Or start all over again? Also, do I need to do this for Mozilla too? (I have IE7 and Mozilla) What is the difference between offline and online downloads?

Thank you so much,

In the screen shot I provided, Update Number 3 (Java [TM] 6, is version number 1.6.0.30

Do I leave that one? Or start all over again? Also, do I need to do this for Mozilla too? (I have IE7 and Mozilla)

What is the difference between offline and online downloads?


Glad to be able to help you.

I would uninstall all, including your latest installation and then start afresh. When I was learning and of course I still am, I was taught to uninstall all first then download and install the new offline.

Regarding Mozilla and IE 7.0 I do not have either so cannot advise you there.

The difference in offline here and online here Java is explained fully. I was taught to download the offline installation to the desktop, go off line and then install when not connected to the internet. Lately however, in fact just the other day I downloaded the online installation and installed online with no problems.

Someone else may come by with more information for you, but please do not forget to use the cleanup utility and reboot before installing your latest Java.

You can verify your installation here

Kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI