This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help uninstalling old Java Program Versions

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I use XP Pro. I have a program on my computer called Secunia PSI (RC1). What it does is locates on your computer un patched programs and gives you direct links to the patches online. So I'm down to 3 programs that are not patched. So I download the patches for these 3 Java programs. Secunia PSI says the reason why the 3 just patched programs are still on the insecure tab of the PSI is because there are older version of the patched items on my machine. It suggests that I uninstall thems. The 3 are really the same Java program I believe listed 3 times. It is called: Sun Java JRE 1.5.x/5.x. On the Add/Remove programs list in Control Panel the Java related programs I have installed are J2SE Development Kit 5.0 Update 4, J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4, Java™ 6 Update 3, and, Java™ 6 Update 4. In C:\Program Files\Java I have these folders: jre1.5.0_04, jdk1.5.0_04, jre1.6.0_03, and jdk1.5.0_04. So what older version do I uninstall?
Hi Toruser, Unless you are a script writer creating your own JAVA applications, you do not need the "JDK" JAVA Developers Kit. The JRE (JAVA Runtime Environment) items provide an interface for your machine to use ActiveX Applets and other scripts that may be required to access or interact with Websites. You should keep your JAVA JRE updated. The current version is 6 build 4. Bottom line: Unless any of the above applies to you………. Uninstall them all and install the latest 6 build 4. Best Regards
Thanks. I uninstalled the oldre version and kept Java™ 6 Update 4. Secunia PSI (RC1) now says congratulations there are no insecure programs on this machine. Thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI