This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

What is Java & can I delete it?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I see that Java 2 Runtime takes up 131 MB and Java 2 SDK takes up 349 MB of memory! Can I use the Internet without them? I want to delete them!
Hi!

If you remove Java altogther you will find that some webpages do not work correctly. It's commonly used for games on webpages or gimmicky things as well as legitimate web-based applications - eg financial stuff. Unless you are a web developer you should have no need for the SDK though at all. On my machine the Runtime takes up 150MB.
You could argue that having Java enabled is a potential security hole but common sense surfing and other protective measures mean you don't have to downgrade your web experience and do without it.

You could always uninstall them both and then reinstall Java at a future date if you find that you want it back after all. Personally I always have it installed. The download location is http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
and the file you want is currently referred to as "JRE 5.0 Update 3".

Best wishes,

Andrew

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI