Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

What is Java & can I delete it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Delete Me

Delete Me

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:42 AM

I see that Java 2 Runtime takes up 131 MB and Java 2 SDK takes up 349 MB of memory! Can I use the Internet without them? I want to delete them!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 cantoris

cantoris

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

Hi!

If you remove Java altogther you will find that some webpages do not work correctly. It's commonly used for games on webpages or gimmicky things as well as legitimate web-based applications - eg financial stuff. Unless you are a web developer you should have no need for the SDK though at all. On my machine the Runtime takes up 150MB.
You could argue that having Java enabled is a potential security hole but common sense surfing and other protective measures mean you don't have to downgrade your web experience and do without it.

You could always uninstall them both and then reinstall Java at a future date if you find that you want it back after all. Personally I always have it installed. The download location is http://java.sun.com/....0/download.jsp
and the file you want is currently referred to as "JRE 5.0 Update 3".

Best wishes,

Andrew

#3 Delete Me

Delete Me

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:38 PM

Thanks, Andrew! I appreciate your help. :) I'll go ahead and delete the SDK but leave the Runtime. Melodie