This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Recommended Vista tools

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Well, after my last thread here, I have bought and installed a full version of Vista (and done a RAM upgrade, didn't realize how cheap that was for an outdated machine like mine!). For reasons that should be clear from my last visit here, I had to do a clean install, in effect removing (among many other things) my existing security suite. So, I'm wondering what the experts here think of the tools that come with Vista for this, and what other tools they recommend. Should I still have a full suite (realtime antivirus, Spybot S&D, MBAM for occasional scans, etc) and if so, are there any problems running any of the well-known ones on Vista? If there's an existing thread on this, feel free to simply point me to it. I couldn't immediately find one.
Hi Jeff, I've asked a Malware Removal expert who is also very familiar with Vista to have a look at your question here. One of us will be getting back to you. Best Regards
Hi Jeff H :wavey:

I have two Vista Machines. On these machines, I have Avira Premium Security Suite (a full suite that includes a Firewall), SuperAntiSpyware (for occasional scanning), Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard.

Information and download for Spyware Blaster And Spyware Guard:
SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/products.html
Spyware Guard is a real-time malware scanner
SpywareBlaster tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Usi…ware-tut49.html
SpywareGuard tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Usi…kers-tut50.html

MalwareByte's Antimalware is another scanner that you could install.

The only security program that costs, is the Avira suite. There is a free version, if you don't mind the 'nag' screen.
Any known issues with Spybot (either in terms of Vista compatibility, or just not being as good as the ones you mentioned)? I've been using that for years and would prefer to keep doing so, but I'll switch if there's a good reason to. Any thoughts on the various free antivirus proggies (i.e. which are good, what the drawbacks of running one are as compared to the paid ones)? I'd prefer free, but will consider cheap.
Move up to SuperAntiSpyware and/or MalwareBytes ! I too love Spybot for all of its additional utilities and such, but the above two choices are superior detection and protection. The free Avira will be just fine, plus a free software firewall. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI