This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Aio help

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I hope this is the proper forum for printer questions. Desktop 4 year old 4600 Dell Dimension xp sp3, wireless Netgear router, 1 gb ram. I had a Dell printer = AIO but the same feature broke on two machines -they were going to send a third so I went to Staples as I had a protection plan and was set up to receive an HP AIO. I don't like the fact that it is wireless as I don't think I have a card in my pc ( my laptop has a Netgear card I plug in which I believe speaks to the router)- they said I could hard wire the HP or connect it to the router but I am unsure and want the easiest way w/o sacrificing security. Secondly, it has been my experience that HP is into photography big time and bundles a lot of what I never use. I don't know how much of it I can deny installing. I just want copy, print scan and fax. I saw a Cannon that seemed to be what I want, when the sales person was not breathing down my neck. So, after that sermon, do you have an opinion re: the integrity of Cannon printers and AIO's? Can you comment simply and briefly about the security of a hard wired printer and a wireless one as it just dawned on me that going to the pc and by passing the router might sacrifice security. As you can see my lack of tech info has me wondering and a bit confused. Thank you for your help.

I don't like the fact that it is wireless as I don't think I have a card in my pc ( my laptop has a Netgear card I plug in which I believe speaks to the router)- they said I could hard wire the HP or connect it to the router but I am unsure and want the easiest way w/o sacrificing security.

I havn't seen a "wireless" printer that you could not connect to a PC. It sounds as if they offer both "wired" and "wireless" network connections for that model. Go with the "wired", it will be faster and more secure.
The question you'll need to resolve is where in your network to connect it. Near the Router, or your PC. If you want it near your PC, then you'll need to tell us if the Router will be close enough to reach with a cable. If not, then you will need to connect to your PC with a USB cable, or purchase a network Switch appliance, (5 or 8 ports,) and connect the printer and your PC to that.

Secondly, it has been my experience that HP is into photography big time and bundles a lot of what I never use. I don't know how much of it I can deny installing. I just want copy, print scan and fax.

Turn-off any anti-virus software before installing Multifunction drivers. You can usually "deny" (after clicking "custom" or "advanced" install,) anything EXCEPT something with the word DRIVER in it.

I saw a Cannon that seemed to be what I want, when the sales person was not breathing down my neck.
So, after that sermon, do you have an opinion re: the integrity of Cannon printers and AIO's?

Do some research. AIOs typically do nothing very "well," just average. The cost per copy is also typically quite high, this is expecially true of those with Tri-Color cartridges, (a single VERY expensive cartridge with all three colors in it,) when one color runs-out, the whole cartridge must be replaced. I would only recommend a Multi-Function device if you truely do not have the space for 3 devices. A B/W Laser printer, Color Inkjet printer, and a Flatbed Scanner, (or Auto-Document Feeder) You would use software to scan, then Fax through the Modem inside a PC, (almost all come with one now days.) Note: With lots of business using DSL, you will need a seperate Fax line installed for the fax.]

Can you comment simply and briefly about the security of a hard wired printer and a wireless one as it just dawned on me that going to the pc and by passing the router might sacrifice security.

Security is better using wired. A Wireless network, because the signal will travel outside the business into public areas, cannot truely be made fool-proof to break-ins. They can only be made very difficult to access. "going to the PC and by-passing the router" will have no affect on "security." An intruder must break INTO the network to access any network resources, and at THAT point it will matter not how the printer is connected to the network.

Tallon41
1- I will go wired - checked today and wireless can be disabled; both the AIO and the router are next to the desk top so I'll use a usb cable- which I have - to the pc. I think that is what you suggest.. 2- I understand the issue of denying installation except with the term 'driver' following disabling the a/v program. I can turn off my modem while doing so for protection. 3- The issue re: cost effectiveness, e.g., is a well thought out plan; I now must consider my options with the information you have provided.. 4- Push to shove I can try the H.P. and if not happy give the Cannon a shot; this is after discussing the options with the boss. She will go for simplicity as the top priority I am afraid. 40 years has taught me to keep saying 'yes' to avoid a melt down! :blush: Thank you very much for the superb advice and the time it took to present it. I shall hope to write back with the results of my trials for readers to peruse. :wavey:

1- I will go wired - checked today and wireless can be disabled; both the AIO and the router are next to the desk top so I'll use a usb cable- which I have - to the pc. I think that is what you suggest..

If you plan to "share" the printer with others in the office, then you need to be aware that the PC would need to remain on, and at least at the "welcome" screen, at all times for that "share" to be accessible.

If that is not a good fit, then you would purchase the Switch I mentioned, and connect the printer to the Switch via Ethernet cable, with the cable from your Router that your PC uses now, plugged into the Switch, and then a different Ethernet cable from the PC to the Switch.

Tallon41
There is no sharing as either my wife or I use the desktop. The lap is for me when she is forever emailing and I want to write to forums, do research etc. Thank you for the additional tip.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI