This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Can't Connect Directly to Printer-must go through other computer

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a small network in my home, 4 desktops connected via cable (with occasional visiting laptops accessing wirelessly) through a Netgear WNDR 3300 router. One of my computers, Dell 9100 Dimension using Windows XP Media, cannot print directly to the printer, it has to print through another Dell (the "hub" or "heart" machine) that is on the network, that system is using Windows XP Home Edition. I can "see" the printer, just not print to it, and the central computer has to be on. One Windows 7 computer can print directly to the printer, the other cannot, both are running 64-bit. I don't know anything about networking, someone else set this up for me. Thanks for any ideas.
What is the make and model number of the printer? Sounds like it's a network printer and not connected directly to a computer, true or false. If it is connected via USB to a computer then you cannot print directly to it unless that computer is on.
HP C309a Photosmart Premium :blush: (smacks self) True. After crawling behind the desk, I see printer is connected in two different ways. It is connected to the middle system via USB, AND it is connected directly to the router through a Netgear 10/100 FS506 5-port switch. To my not-so-technical mind, that looks like a recipe for confusion.
Agreed, there should only be one connection type. You need the USB connection to setup the Network connection (I think) but once that's complete the USB connection should be removed.

I looked at the online Basics Users Guide and it has directions for setting up the initial Network connection and adding additional computer on the network to it.

See here: Basic and Full Guides
Thank you very much! I will go and read the user guide. This has been an ongoing little irritation for those of us that are at the other end of the house from the printer and send print jobs, not knowing someone else shut the central computer off! bb :)
Meant to add…I didn't actually get a user guide with the printer, it was one of those "last in the store-demo model-as is-" things… When all else fails go find the manual… :wacko:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI