Lets see if we can figure out what went wrong.
On the desktop machine, open a Command Prompt by clicking on
Start then
Run, typing
cmd and press the
Enter key. At the command prompt, type
net share and press
Enter.
You should get a response something like the following:
Share name Resource Remark
————————————————————–
C$ C:\ Default share
HPDeskJet 932C Color
USB001 Spooled Color printer
HPLaserJet 6P Black
LPT1: Spooled B/W Laser printer
As you can see, I have two printers on this computer that I share with my other computers. What does your response look like?
See here for how to setup your command prompt window so it's easy to copy data from it.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/How_customiz…te_t100330.html
Now, on the laptop, also open a command prompt. This time type
net view and press
Enter. You should get a response similar to this:
Server Name Remark
—————————————-
\\DESKTOP
\\WEBSERVER Dell Webserver
As you can see, I have two computers online and each has a unique name.
Desktop is the one I'm using now.
Webserver is where I run my Apache web server that supports my family web site. It's also the machine that has the two printers attached to it since it runs 24x7x365.
Your two computers should also have unique names, one for the desktop and one for the laptop. From the laptop command prompt, enter
net view \\xxxxxxxx
where
xxxxxxxx is the name of your desktop machine. You should get a response similar to what you got when you entered net share on the desktop computer. One my desktop it looks like this:
net view \\webserver
Shared resources at \\webserver
Dell Webserver
Share name Type Used as Comment
———————————————————-
Dell_C Disk C Drive on Dell We
HPDeskJet 932C Color Print Color printer
HPLaserJet 6P Black Print B/W Laser printer
That's enough for now, waiting for your response.