This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Microsoft Update Redirects to Old Version

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm working on a machine that had some spyware virus issues. After lots of work, I have the internet and everything else working.. EXCEPT when i run windows update (actually trying to run microsoft update from update.microsoft.com) I get redirected to v4.windowsupdate.microsot.com……and so on.. It the older version 4 of the windows update that I believe windows 200 users still use today. However this is a windows xp professional os with sp3 installed (manually). The problem is i think there are many updates im not getting thru this version 4. I think this may be some sort of user agent string issue or some other issue that makes windows update think i have windows 2000? I am oing to post on the spyware forum as well, in case it is a spyware redirect issue. I spent 3 hours with microsoft free tech support for security issues until they gave up and then decided it isnt in the scope of their services. PLEASE HELP! I am really trying to avoid a reinstall as i have no cds for this pc.
Hi errorhelp, We are sorry you are having trouble with your WUD. As you have posted in the HJT forum we are unable to help you here until a Malware accredited fighter has cleared your system. Please feel free to post back into this thread when you have your clearance. The reason for this is here we may advise you to change settings which would interfer with your HJT log posting. kind regards,

I get redirected to v4.windowsupdate.microsot.com……and so on.. .PLEASE HELP! I am really trying to avoid a reinstall as i have no cds for this pc.

Try launching Windows Update this way instead :

Click Start—all programs, then at the top of the first column, you should see a link to "Windows Update"

Tallon41

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI