This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Possible Windows Update Redirect!

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm working on a machine that had some spyware virus issues. After lots of work, I have the internet and everything else working.. EXCEPT when i run windows update (actually trying to run microsoft update from update.microsoft.com) I get redirected to v4.windowsupdate.microsot.com……and so on.. It the older version 4 of the windows update that I believe windows 2000 users still use today. However this is a windows xp professional os with sp3 installed (manually). The problem is i think there are many updates im not getting thru this version 4. I think this may be some sort of spyware issue, possibly some remnent of something i removed that is causing some typw of redirect? I spent 3 hours with microsoft free tech support for security issues until they gave up and then decided it isnt in the scope of their services. PLEASE HELP! I am really trying to avoid a reinstall as i have no cds for this pc.
Hi and welcome back to the forums,

We need a HijackThis! log to see what's going on here.

[external image: Posted Image]Click here to download HJTInstall.exe
  • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
  • Click on Install.
  • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
  • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI