This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

XP Operating system won't update itself at Microsoft

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello:

I am having a problem to get my operating system to update itself and I was wondering if there might be someone that could help.
I beleive my issues started with malware and I had assistance from your sister site to get the malware removed; yet my operating system still won't update itself.

I have included the link of all the steps that we have taken so that it may help to correct the issue.

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/top…-review-my-log/

When I go to the Microsoft Windows site the message I receive is that there is a error message.
"Your search - [Error number: 0x80070424] The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view."

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd…t.aspx?ln=en-us

Thanks again.
Hi beaniecaper, welcome to WhatTheTech.

I read through your thread at PCPitStop, quite an ordeal to get things running! Lets see if we can fix your update problem the easy way.

Download and run Dial-A-Fix.
Check the WU/WUAU box (Fix Windows Update) then click the GO button.
Allow that to complete then reboot. Try Windows Update again.

If it still doesn't work, check Services again (Start / Run / type services.msc and press Enter) and see if Automatic Updates is listed or not. If not, see the 2nd post in this thread by Ronnie Vernon: Error code 80070424. It's in the Vista forum but the fix applies to XP as well.

In the Command Prompt window, Paste the following command.

REGSVR32 %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WUAUENG.DLL

Press ENTER.

You should see a popup that says the command succeeded.

Exit the command prompt and try Windows Update again.

Ignore the part about opening an Elevated Command Prompt as that applies to Vista and Windows 7. Just open a normal Command Prompt.

Start then Run, type cmd and press Enter

or

Start then Programs then Accessories then Command Prompt.
Hello: Thanks for the reply. I've downloaded the dial-a-fix program and it has fixed the issue. I was able to update the 24 updates from the Microsoft site. Thanks again for your time in reading the posts from the other site and your help. :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI