This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

XP Autoplay problem

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi demike,

Lets go back to basics here. Please do the following to make sure all your .dll files are correct. Let SFC Scannow run which could take some time, if all is correct there will be no report at the end.

Suggest you start to do the following:

Backup/archive/copy

To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

  • Start
  • Run
  • type:sfc /scannow (note the space between c /)
  • Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.
Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack i- SP1 when SP2 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.
______________________________

SFC no disc, no friends able to help.
Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.

For the alterations needed to run SFC. If you go here http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot you machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.
__________________________________

System Restore Point facility

Go to:

  • Start
  • All Programs
  • Accessories
  • System Tools
  • System Restore follow the onscreen directions.
  • Try to put your system back to a date before your troubles started.
    see how you go.
Note 1
Using this facility will normally preserve documents and data created by you in your My Documents folder, but some data files left on the desktop for example are at severe risk of being lost. For this reason it is recommended that before doing anything at all, you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, its worth updating it now.)

Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Note 2
It is always important to have System Restore, protecting your boot drive (usually Drive C:) unless your trusted adviser specifically recommends turning it off for a short while.

Let us know how you go.

kind regards,
tallin, question about restore points. Does going back to a restore point affect data programs such a Quicken? In other words, will data and transactions made in the program be turned back (disappear) to that of the restore point date? What is exactly affected? I will contemplate the more difficut/complex suggestions that you made, also. Thanks drmike
Thanks tallin for the link. Very helpful. I think I will try a system restore before I run the sfc scan unless you think I really should try first. drmike
Hi drmike, To reply to your last question Mike, I would certainly run the SFC Scan first as again I think it important to make sure your OS is currently sound with no corrupted or missing files. A tip with it, insert your OS CD before you start the scan as Windows will surely ask for it to complete the scan. You will not receive a report when it is finished if all is well, but please when you start it, leave to computer be for it to run through uninterrupted. When clear, then if things have not improved with your initial problem I would then do the Systems Restore. Let us know what happens, and good luck. kind regards,
tallin, well there is always another problem :wall: I have a dual hard drive laptop by HP that has the 2nd partioned for HP recovery. As such, I have no discs……
Hi drmike, Oh my goodness. Can you contact HP to request your OS CD as during the life of your computer you will/may need it as now. If you do, make sure you also request the driver CD as this is just as important for the well being of your system. Here in this country it is illegal to sell a computer without the OS CD along with the Driver CD. As stated in my post regarding the SFC Scan, it is acceptable to borrow a Windows OS CD to run the scan, but make sure it is the exactly the same version SP2 as yours is. Keep us posted, kind regards, :)
Mike, there should be a way to create a set of Recovery CDs or DVDs. Look under Start / Programs and see what HP folders are there. One of them should have the link to create them.

They will not be a XP install CD, just HP System Recovery CDs so will not be of any use in running SFC, but …. often, a OEM manufacture like HP will place a I386 folder off the root of the boot drive (usually C:\I386). If it's there, you can use this registry hack to point SFC (System File Checker) and WFP (Windows File Protection) there rather than the XP CD.

Copy the following RED text then paste it into a notepad window. Save it yo your Desktop as "SFCFromHD.reg" (including the double quotes to prevent notepad from adding .txt to the end).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

"SourcePath"="C:\\"
"ServicePackSourcePath"="C:\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

"SourcePath"="C:\\"


Next, double click on "SFCFromHD.reg" and click on OK when it asks if you want to merge this into the registry.

Before you make this change to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.

Then if something is deleted that shouldn't have been, simply go to the C:\Windows\erdnt folder and pick the erdnt.exe wanted to restore the registry to it's state when it was backed up. This can even be done from the Recovery Console if needed
Hello everyone! I have good news and mildly bad news. Good: I did system restore for 1 week ago and guess what. Yes, my autoplay "pictures" dialog was back and populated with options! The mildly bad news is that I don't know what happened or why. After reboot, Java asked for an update which I allowed for the installation. I rebooted again and tried my media card and it still worked. Next I remembered that AVG did an update last week so I tried to force an update, but it told me that there were no updates available. So maybe that had nothing to do with it. So, I have no idea what the change was, but it is working again, and for now, I am a happy camper. :woot: I want to thank all of you that spend a lot of time working on this trying to come up with solutions. I am sorry about not trying all of them, but as I said before, I am a creature of habit and mucking around the registry without one of you sitting next to me to fix my computer when it is messed up makes me very anxious. tallin, if you ever get closer to the US than there in Australia….. :D Again, thanks all.
Hi drmike, Well, that is good news. Who knows what the problem was? But you are up and running with your Autoplay and that is all that matters at this stage. I still think USBDview.exe is your secret if you keep using your USB ports. I also think that you should still purchase your OS CD and Driver CD from HP if that is at all possible as one day you will need them I am sure. I would also like to see you do that SFC Scan at your earliest convenience. But of course it is your call. We are glad to be of help to you, do post again if you find you need our help. Regarding traveling to the States, I have been three times, touring the South, Washington DC, LA, Hawaii and even a visit to Disneyland which was an eye opener to he sure. All the US citizens were so hospitable, just like we are really, but with an accent! So your a happy camper, that is great. kind regards, :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI