This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Autoplay no longer functioning

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there everyone… I'm having a problem with Windows XP and I'm wondering if anyone can help. A few weeks ago I was infected with a nasty trojan. Two great guys at the BleepingComputer forum helped me to remove it, but in the end I was left with a couple of side-effects. One of the most annoying ones is my loss of Autoplay functionality… Before the infection, when I used to put a cd in my DVD drive, a window popped up asking me to choose an action ("play", "open folder", "view pictures", etc etc)… Now, after the infection, I've lost that function. What's most annoying about this isn't really that I've lost the function. What's worse is that even though I keep clicking "DVD DRIVE > Properties > AutoPlay > Prompt me each time to choose an action", nothing happens. I don't know why this would be the case… I've reset the defaults for every media type and restarted my machine several times. And every time I view the drive's autoplay properties, I see that "Prompt me each time to choose an action" is still selected as the default action… And yet, that's not happening… Can anyone out there help me out with this? I'm kind of concerned that it's a registry issue, or that something was tampered with during the infection… and maybe it's a sign of a bigger problem (or not)… Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, I'm running Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, Service Pack 2 (and my computer isn't a "brand" computer: a tech friend assembled it for me from a legitimate computer store). Anything else you need to know,just ask. Thanks a million, D.
Hello,
Because there are a lot of bad mal-ware that are transfered by USB flash drives some of the anti mal-ware programs disable auto play.
Combofix does this, and I can understand why.
So this was done on purpose, not by mal-ware.
Please go here to repair autoplay.
Hi there HFCG… Thanks very much for your response. As it turns out, I did in fact use both a flash disinfector and ComboFix during my malware clean-up, so that might be the cause. That said, I already tried the AutoFix.exe solution (sorry, I should have mentioned this in my post) after googling the problem a few days ago. The thing is, AUTOFIX didn't seem to work. The problem still exists, even after resetting all of my autoplay settings to "prompt me each time". I'll give AUTOFIX a second try this afternoon and see if the solution takes this time around… Thanks a million, D.
I did nt look for the full downlod of autoplay,but the Microsft download site will most likely have the full program. Look around Microsofts downlod site, and if you do not find it let me knw and will research it. If yu download and install the full program it sould work.
H, what should I be looking for on the site? Searching for "Autoplay Repair" just returns me back to the same page as your link… Thanks, D.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI