This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Dell System Restore was a breeze

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

After being infected by that antiVir 2008 virus and downloading all kinds of stuff to battle it. I decided to do a system restore provided by Dell. I copied all the important personal files and such and did the restore. It took less than 5 mins to restore my computer back to the day i got it. It was a breeze. I went directly to Microsoft and got all the updates and service pack 3 . then went to download.com and got PCTools firewall plus 4.0 , avast anti virus, Malwarebytes anti-malware, CCleaner, Adaware 2008 by lavasoft, mozilla firefox and opera browsers, I also went to majorgeeks and installed Revo-uninstaller, to remove the offers that are no longer available from Dell. I also installed the WOT on all the browsers to check the safety of websites. So far everything seems to be running fine. No problems. I was wondering if there are any other programs you would suggest i use. ??? PS one thing i noticed when doing the restore is that the ask toolbar was also a part of the installation. I used the revo uninstaller and it found every last piece of it. I couldn't believe how many places that toolbar attaches itself to. Thanks for all your help here everyone Sincerely Narrisah
Hi Narrisah,

You do not mention any backup software on your newly restored computer. That would be my concern for you now you have it running to your satisfaction.

There is image backup software such as Acronis, and Ghost out there but they cost. A small investment if your Hard Drive fails as you can be up and running in just over half an hour if you have either. I have both on various systems, they work well so I can recommend them.

Alternatively there is loads of free backup for the taking if you prefer not to be spending $$$.

I would also recommend Super AntiSpyware which I think is one of the best to have to protect your system from the nasties out there.

Keep us posted what you think of the above suggestions.

kind regards,
thanks for your recommendations i will keep them in mind. As for now i really don't have anything on my computer that would be missed if hard drive crashes. I have the recovery on disk and all my music and pictures on disks already. But for the future it's nice to have those options thanks. I will get the super anti-spyware now . Thanks again all for helping me Sincerely Narrisah

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI