This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Pc Restored; Virus Protection

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have done a PC restore (to bring the system back to factory settings) on my Dell… I had been dealing with virus, trojans , spyware, etc… Now that I have clean PC I'd like to get opinions on best or really good spy/adware and virus, firewall protection. . I do not want to go through what I just dealt with.. Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I see you have 2 topics open and requesting assistance on the malware removal forum. These may be for different machines from the one you have just formatted and reinstalled your OS, and if this is the case then the best course of action is to wait for a response from a malware removal expert. They are all volunteers, are in high demand and often the number of folks requesting detailed advice and assistance exceeds the number of experts available.

On the other hand, if you no longer want assistance on your HJT logs then I'm sure they would appreciate you letting them know so that they do not spend time analysing your logs, deciding on a planned disinfection routine and then typing up replies to you.

They may also be able to help you with more detailed advice on how to keep you machine clean, but in the meantime I have 2 recommendations for you, although the first is just a method of making the reinstall job, very easy and quick to perform whilst the second does hopefully provide the sort of information you are seeking.

1 Use a disc imaging application, like Ghost, Drive Image, Paragon, Acronis, or similar to make the reinstall job easy (the whole thing can be done in under an hour.) Now is the time to do it when your machine is freshly installed, clean, sweet and running well, updated and all your important settings and applications installed, but before it has had time to be come cluttered up and slowed down by the usual detritus that accumulates so quickly. If serious trouble strikes that cannot be fixed by the usual means thenbeing able to put your machine back to exactly as it was when you made the disc image can be very useful.You will of course need a copy of any important stuff you have been working with since the date of your disc image.

2 You will find some good information here :
http://security-central.us/forums/showthread.php?t=321
http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiem…owcomputer.html
http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiem…prevention.html

Here is some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler to help you stay clean and safe online:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html
http://cybercoyote.org/security/not-admin.shtml

If you always keep Windows updated, along with your antivirus and 2 way softwall firewall, watch where you surf, avoid P2P fileshares be conservative where you click,and don't open email attachments unless you have requested one from the sender.you stand a good chance of keeping your machine clean.
Good luck with this
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI