I recently had to uninstall my HP Officejet 5610. When I reinstalled my USB connection, an error screen tells me "the required section was not found in the INF." HP's diagnostic confirmed that the usb.inf file was in place but that the system was not accessing it, probably due to a digital signature issue. They said to reformat and reinstall WIN! I'm not techno savy to proceed, but a Windows reinstall seems extreme… Can anyone help, please?
Windows XP (SP 3)
Hello,
A reinstall of Windows is not required.
I do not know why you where told this.
Do you know how to uninstall the printer software and reinstall it?
After you reinstall the printer software plug the printer in to a different USB port.
I am thinking that this is what the person meant but made a mistake.
Thanks, HFCG. I got my diagnostic instructions from HP's help section. After following all their uninstall/reinstall instructions, which got the software reinstalled fine, the USB still won't recognize the printer, HP says to reinstall Windows!
Do you have a valid copy of Windows?
You can do a repair install, but lets do this first.
Do you have a valid XP CD?
If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
Click on START–>RUN and type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)
SFC- Which stands for System File Checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.